PDA

View Full Version : salatul hajjah

naqabi
22-Nov-2008, 10:11 AM
Okay I've noticed that ppl r asking each other to make dua for them in different threads, so I thought it would be nice to start a thread in which ppl can post up whatever duas they would like others to make for them.

And on the topic of duas, I went on Khurooj with a sister who taught me a salat-ul-Hajah which is very effective. It's called the "Salat of Prophet Khidr (AS)" and also known as "The Salat-ul Hajah of the Awliya". The Awliya say about this salat that they have not asked for anything through this salat which they haven't recieved. The best time to pray it is at Tahajjud time but u can pray it whenever u want. The method is as follows:
Make intention for 2 rakath "Salatul Hajjah" (can also combine intentions for "Tauba" and "Shukr" with it if you like), in the first Rakath, after Surah Fatiha recite Surah Kafiroon (Qul ya Aiyuhal Kafiroon) 10 times, in the second Rakath recite Surah Ikhlas (Qul hu Allahu Ahad) 11 times, complete salat as normal and as soon as u do Salams to end ur salat go straight into sujood and say "Durood Ibrahimi" (the durood/salawat u normally say in Salat) 10 times, Thrid Kalimah (Subhanallahi walhamdulillahi wallahu akbar...etc) 10 times and "Rabbana Aatena" 10 times, then make whatever dua u want and inshallah that dua will be accepted. :hooray:

SuBMiSSioN
22-Nov-2008, 10:13 AM
Why not just pray a normal tahhajud prayer and make the same duaa?? Plus you talk about the 'awliyaa' and what they say about it. What about what the companions said? Or what the scholars have said?

Where's the evidence that the prophet :saw: prayed such a prayer?

SuBMiSSioN
22-Nov-2008, 10:59 AM
Salaat al-Haajah
My question has to do with praying to allah for a need. I know it is called satatul hajah. How many times does a person have to pray it and when should it be prayed. Is it right to pray it at the times when duaas are most likely to be answered

Praise be to Allaah.

It is prescribed for the Muslim to worship Allaah in the ways that He has prescribed in His Book, and in the ways that have been proven from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The principle concerning matters of worship is tawqeef [i.e., following what is in the Qur’aan and saheeh Sunnah; with no room for individual opinion]. And we cannot say that any act of worship is prescribed unless there is saheeh evidence.

The so-called Salaat al-Haajah was narrated in da’eef (weak) or munkar (denounced) ahaadeeth – as far as we know – which cannot be used as proof and which are not fit to base acts of worship on.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 8/162

The hadeeth narrated concerning Salaat al-Haajah says:

“From ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Abi Awfa al-Aslami, who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came out to us and said: ‘Whoever has need of something from Allaah or any one of His creation, let him do wudoo’ and pray two rak’ahs, then let him say, “There is no god but Allaah, the Forbearing, the Most Generous. Glory be to Allaah, Lord of the mighty Throne. Praise be to Allaah the Lord of the Worlds. O Allaah, I ask You for Your mercy and forgiveness and I ask You for all good things and for safety from all sins. I ask You not to leave any sin without forgiving it, or any distress without relieving it, or any need which it pleases You to fulfil without fulfilling it for me.” Then let him ask Allaah for whatever matter of this world or the Hereafter that he wishes, for it will be fulfilled.”

(Narrated by Ibn Maajah, Iqaamat al-Salaah wa’l-Sunnah, 1374)

Al-Tirmdihi said: this is a ghareeb [strange] hadeeth, and concerning its isnaad it was said: Faa’id ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan is weak in hadeeth.

Al-Albaani said: rather it is da’eef jiddan (very weak). Al-Haakim said: mawdoo’ (fabricated) ahaadeeth were narrated from Abu Awfa.

Mishkaat al-Masaabeeh, vol. 1, p. 417

The author of al-Sunan wa’l-Mubtada’aat said, after mentioning what al-Tirmidhi said concerning Faa’id ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan: Ahmad said he is matrook (left, i.e., his hadeeth is not to be accepted), and Ibn al-‘Arabi described him as da’eef (weak).

And he said: You know what is said concerning this hadeeth. It is better and more perfect and safer for you to make du’aa’ to Allaah in the depths of the night and between the adhaan and iqaamah and at the end of every prayer before the tasleem; and on Fridays, for then there are times when du’aa’ is answered; and when breaking one’s fast. For your Lord says (interpretation of the meanings):

‘Invoke Me [i.e. believe in My Oneness (Islamic Monotheism) and ask Me for anything] I will respond to your (invocation)’[Fussilat 40:60]

‘And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad) concerning Me, then (answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor)’[al-Baqarah 2:186]

‘And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allaah, so call on Him by them’[al-A’raaf 7:180].” al-Sunan wa’l-Mubtada’aat by al-Shuqayri, p. 124

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/10387/al-hajah)

Umm Binyameen
22-Nov-2008, 11:11 AM
Sadly sis, we'll be accused of only following 'salafi' opinions, even though it is clearly referenced by great scholars who know far more than we do.

May Allah guide us all to the truth, and the correct way of worshipping him, and keep us away from inovations into the religion, and the hellfire.

SuBMiSSioN
22-Nov-2008, 11:25 AM
Frankly, I'm not fussed what they accuse me of :thumbsup: On the Day of Judgement I don't expect to be referred to as a salafi, or a wahabi, but rather as a Muslimah, inshaa'Allaah.

Umm Binyameen
22-Nov-2008, 11:27 AM
Insha'Allah sis :) me too!

Explorer
22-Nov-2008, 11:31 AM
wow what a good idea..... :)
i'm not asking for du'a to be made for me, but I would just like to thank everyone that made du'a for Mahmoud Husni, who I described in an earlier thread.
I'm certain that all the du'a from users of the forum as well as my family and friends helped him to recover in the way that the did.
Allahu Akbar, he was released after 4 days when he was meant to be in for a minimum of 8 and alhumdulillah the surgery was a success. Subhanallah the poor baby was meant to be immobile for a number of days but was crawling around only two hours after he woke up from surgery, even though he had a catheter and urine bag attached to him. Masha'Allah!!!!

Masha'Allah the nurses at the hospital were the best I have ever seen in my life, they took care of him as if he was their own child. May ALlah bless them and guide them to Islam, Insha'Allah. May Allah reward them for their efforts of working with the sick.

Thanks guys

fatima_43
22-Nov-2008, 12:41 PM
jazakillahu khayran for the great news Explorer, du'a is the weapon of a believer :)

naqabi
24-Nov-2008, 01:10 PM
Wow, I suppose I'll be accused of being a Sufi for even mentioning the Awliya! :-S. I can't believe there r ppl who don't believe in praying Salatul-Hajah at all, that is just so wierd...:-S.

Anyway, to each their own, I learnt something of benefit so I thought I'd pass it on, take it or leave it, it doesn't bother me either way... *shrugs*

Umm Binyameen
24-Nov-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm totally positive that your intention was to share something good sis masha'Allah. But did you read the post from Submission? It clearly states that Salatul-Hajah is based on weak or very weak hadith. So you wouldn't want to advise people to do something that may not benefit them would you? It would be recommended to advise people to do something that is completely backed up in the qur'an and sunnah insha'Allah. Then you will get the reward for it :)

naqabi
24-Nov-2008, 01:59 PM
Depends on weak according to whom sis, a single hadth can have varying classifications according to different scholars, plus it's permissible to use weak hadith to encourage others towards good. Weak hadith are NOT fabricated hadith and can be acted upon unless they deal with matters of Fiqh. But anyway I don't have sufficient knowledge to be able to thrash this matter out, but I do believe that Salatul Hajah was something that the Prophet(SAW) advised and encouraged others to do and I'm happy to stick to that opinion. :-D

SuBMiSSioN
24-Nov-2008, 05:39 PM
Actually, from what I understand, you can't use weak ahadeeth when it comes to matters of worship. Also, it was seen as a 'strange' hadith as well as a fabricated hadith from some scholars. What I find strange is not the fact that there are scholars who think it's not permissible to pray such a prayer, but in fact we have people recommending others to pray such a prayer without having the evidence for it.

Anyway, my question still stands. Where's the proof that such a prayer was prayed? Is it that we just take whatever is given to us from others as proof without questioning it? Sorry, but when it comes to matters of worship, I will question what it is I'm meant to do, whether it comes from a sufi or a salafi or shia or whatever.

cheesegirl
24-Nov-2008, 06:40 PM
Depends on weak according to whom sis, a single hadth can have varying classifications according to different scholars, plus it's permissible to use weak hadith to encourage others towards good.

Exactly, it could be that some scholars consider the hadith to be authentic.

*Not that I know anything about this topic!*

SuBMiSSioN
24-Nov-2008, 06:42 PM
Which is why I asked for the evidence...

And no, I'm not going to be classifying the ahadeeth used myself.. so please no one go and bring that argument up.

naqabi
24-Nov-2008, 06:46 PM
Evidence means I've gotta pull out a whole lotta texts and go through them and pull out what ur asking, I've got the "Ihya" sitting around and I suppose I'll look in it to see if I can find anything when I have a bit of time...but anyway I'm convinced that it's okay so I'll bother with that when I can actually be bothered bothering with it...:-P

naqabi
24-Nov-2008, 07:46 PM
Okay I did pull out the "Ihya Uloom ud din" and Imam Ghazali does talk about salatul Hajat and the entire dua for it is written there. He cautions though, not to teach it to idiots coz they'll ask Allah (SWT) for the wrong things through it and harm themselves. Anyway it's definitely there so yeah I'm gonna keep praying it! :-D

SuBMiSSioN
24-Nov-2008, 10:52 PM
naqabi: With all due respect, but that hardly counts as evidence from the prophet :saw: Does it mention anything about the hadith which narrates such a prayer?

naqabi
25-Nov-2008, 08:58 AM
He does but I don't trust myself to translate it accurately coz it's in Urdu. The point I'm making though is that a scholar of Imam Ghazali's calibre wouldn't recommend something to others if there was no basis for it in Islam. The fatwa that you've posted up only talks about one hadith and it's classification according to SOME scholars. It's entirely likely that other scholars give it a higher classification or that there r other ahadith with higher classification that also recommend salatul Hajah. One internet fatwa cannot be taken as the be-all and end-all of any religious matter. U and I, and even these internet scholars, are not even equal to the dirt under the shoe of somebody like Imam Ghazali(RA) in terms of knowledge and piety, and I'd trust his word over their word, any day of the week.

Umm Binyameen
25-Nov-2008, 09:04 AM
With all due respect sister, you can't call Al-Tirmdihi and Al-Albani 'internet scholars'. Just because the information was compiled by Sh. Munajjid (may Allah reward him for his efforts) does not mean it is his own opinion. It is also compelely wrong to say that they are 'not even equal to the dirt under the shoe of somebody like Imam Ghazali (RA)'. Be careful in what you say sister.

naqabi
25-Nov-2008, 09:18 AM
Al Tarmidhi and Albani classified the hadith, that's it. We don't know what they say about whether Salatul-Hajah is permissible in Islam or not. And that is the question we r trying to answer.

Umm Binyameen
25-Nov-2008, 09:36 AM
Yes, I agree with you there. But I was referring to your negative comments about them which I don't think you should do sister. There are a lot of 'scholars' mentioned on here that say things I don't even agree with, and I don't even know who they are, but I would never say that they are 'not even equal to the dirt under the shoe....'. That was my point, that we don't know the intentions of these people, or for that matter how much Allah loves them, and how much Allah will punish us for our comments.

naqabi
25-Nov-2008, 09:43 AM
Sis, nobody alive today is equal to the dirt under Imam Ghazali's shoe, and I'm not saying it as an insult, but rather as a mark of humility in comparison to the greatness of someone like Imam Ghazali. It's an Urdu Phrase so perhaps it seems offensive when translated in English? It's not an insult in Urdu, it's said as a mark of honour towards someone.

Umm Binyameen
25-Nov-2008, 09:48 AM
I agree with you sister....but you are now changing what you said. Now you're saying alive today, but before you were referring to the people who were referenced in the fatwa that was posted on here, including Al-Albani and other great scholars.

If you were to say that none of us were equal the dirt under his feet, I'd agree with you, but that's not what you said.

Haajar
25-Nov-2008, 09:54 AM
I am making dua'a that this whole argument ends!

Umm Binyameen
25-Nov-2008, 09:56 AM
It's not an arguement sis :) We're not calling each other names or insulting each other or anything. Alhamdulillah, we both want what is best insha'Allah and are trying to sort out the differences.

naqabi
25-Nov-2008, 11:43 AM
Sis, I think u need to re-read my post. "Internet scholars" refers to the scholars who posted up that fatwa.

Umm Binyameen
25-Nov-2008, 12:53 PM
But the 'internet scholars' are not the ones who are saying that the hadith is weak or whatever...its the other scholars I mentioned. The internet scholars, that is Sh. Munajjid, compiled information from other great scholars and presented it to us. Therefore, your comment was directed to them as well (even if you did not intentionally do it). That's the point I'm trying to make.

cheesegirl
25-Nov-2008, 01:30 PM
Sis, nobody alive today is equal to the dirt under Imam Ghazali's shoe, and I'm not saying it as an insult, but rather as a mark of humility in comparison to the greatness of someone like Imam Ghazali.

Sis that is offensive, honestly! Only Allah in the position to judge whether there are people alive today who are better than Imam Al-Ghazali. For starters, you haven't even meet 1% of the worlds population, how on earth can you say something so disrespectful!

naqabi
25-Nov-2008, 01:40 PM
Sis, there r no mujtahid Imams alive today, so no fatwas given today r binding the way that they were in the past. Ppl of that calibre are simply non-existant today otherwise we'd have mujtahid Imams to follow. Perhaps "dust" is a better word than "dirt" coz "dirt" has negative connotations in English? Anyway non-urdu speakers may never get what I'm trying to say so I'll leave it at that.

And I think that we should all stop derailing this thread (myself included).

Now getting back to the topic at hand, could everyone please make dua that I get to go for Hajj soon, I really want to go but I have to wait till Allah (SWT) calls me. Also I really want to go Khurooj for 40 days so could everyone please make dua that Allah (SWT) accepts me for it. Jazakallah Kheir. :-D

aussiemu
25-Nov-2008, 06:05 PM
assalamu alaikum

I think a new thread for duas would be better :) This one can be renamed Salatul Hajjah.

wassalamu alaikum

naqabi
26-Nov-2008, 09:08 AM
uh okay, r u going to change it or should I? :-)

Umm Binyameen
26-Nov-2008, 10:46 AM
Could someone please explain to me exactly what is Khurooj? And where is the evidence for it. I've never come accross any reference to it in my studies and would like to understand. Jazak Allahu Khayran :)

naqabi
26-Nov-2008, 11:04 AM
Khurooj is just going out to invite ppl towards Islam, u travel to different locations, and talk to the ppl about Allah (SWT) and his Rasool(SAW). The men knock on the doors of muslims and ask them (the men) to come and pray in the masjid instead of praying at home. And the women talk to other sisters about the importance of building our yaqeen, the importance of Salat, the importance of gaining knowledge of deen and doing dhikr, the importance of treating fellow muslims with love and compassion, the importance of doing everything with pure intention for the sake of Allah (SWT) and the importance of giving dawah to others. The Sahaba all went out to spread Islam and we just try to emulate them. Muslims from all walks of life join the jamaats and go out.

Umm Binyameen
26-Nov-2008, 11:18 AM
Jazak Allahu khayran sister. Masha'Allah thats very good. Where does the term 'khurooj' come from? I've never seen it in my studies. Is it a new term to mean something else that I could find? I'd really like to see evidence to back it up. I know that its honourable and something we must do, to advise our brothers and sisters to the best - but this seems like something that is organised and done on a regular basis? I'd just like to see the evidence that this was done at the time of the Prophet (saw) insha'Allah

naqabi
26-Nov-2008, 12:49 PM
Khurooj is just an Urdu word meaning "going out". The word itself has no real significance, it's just come into common usage that's all! But the Prophet (SAW) sent many ppl out to spread deen, he sent Muaz ibn Jabal to Yemen, I think it was Sa'd bin Muadh who was sent to Medina, he (SAW) himself went to Taif, and there are many Sahaba whose graves r even in far off lands like China, we would all be Kuffar today if they did not leave their homes in order to spread deen.

Tay_
26-Nov-2008, 02:08 PM
Actually, from what I understand, you can't use weak ahadeeth when it comes to matters of worship. Also, it was seen as a 'strange' hadith as well as a fabricated hadith from some scholars. What I find strange is not the fact that there are scholars who think it's not permissible to pray such a prayer, but in fact we have people recommending others to pray such a prayer without having the evidence for it.

Anyway, my question still stands. Where's the proof that such a prayer was prayed? Is it that we just take whatever is given to us from others as proof without questioning it? Sorry, but when it comes to matters of worship, I will question what it is I'm meant to do, whether it comes from a sufi or a salafi or shia or whatever.

Weak hadith cannot be used to determine Islamic Law, however as has been mentioned they can be used where good deeds are encouraged

The Prayer of Need (Salat al-Hajah)

Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Question:

How does one perform the prayer of need (salat al-haja)?

Answer:

In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful, and all blessings and peace upon our master Muhammad, his Folk, Companions and those who follow their noble way,

Abullah ibn Abi Awfa (Allah be pleased with him) relates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) said, “Whoever has a need with Allah, or with any human being, then let them perform ritual ablutions well and then pray two rakats. After that, let them praise Allah and send blessings on the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace). After this, let them say,

لا إِلَهَ إِلا اللَّهُ الْحَلِيمُ الْكَرِيمُ
سُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ رَبِّ الْعَرْشِ الْعَظِيمِ

الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِين
أَسْأَلُكَ مُوجِبَاتِ رَحْمَتِكَ وَعَزَائِمَ مَغْفِرَتِكَ وَالْغَنِيمَةَ مِنْ كُلِّ بِرٍّ وَالسَّلامَةَ مِنْ كُلّإِثْمٍ
لا تَدَعْ لِي ذَنْبًا إِلا غَفَرْتَهُ وَلا هَمًّا إِلا فَرَّجْتَهُ وَلا حَاجَةً هِيَ لَكَ رِضًا إِلا قَضَيْتَهَا يَا أَرْحَمَ الرَّاحِمِينَ

There there no god but Allah the Clement and Wise.
There is no god but Allah the High and Mighty.
Glory be to Allah, Lord of the Tremendous Throne.
All praise is to Allah, Lord of the worlds.

I ask you (O Allah) everything that leads to your mercy, and your tremendous forgiveness, enrichment in all good, and freedom from all sin.
Do not leave a sin of mine (O Allah), except that you forgive it, nor any concern except that you create for it an opening, nor any need in which there is your good pleasure except that you fulfill it, O Most Merciful!”

[Related by Tirmidhi and Ibn Maja. The hadith has some weakness, but it is slight: such hadiths are acted upon for virtuous deeds (fada’il al-a`mal) by general agreement of Sunni scholarship]

The prayer of need is very simple: It is essentially to raise one's need to Allah Most High, by performing ritual ablution (wudu), praying 2 rakats (or four), and then making whole-hearted dua to Allah. If one uses the abovementioned Prophetic supplication, or other similar supplications transmitted from the Beloved Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace), it is best. [Ibrahim al-Halabi, Sharh Munyat al-Musalli; al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya; Ibn Abidin, Radd al-Muhtar]

The inward manners of supplication is exhibiting our neediness and absolute slavehood to Allah, consigning one's matters to Allah, and knowing that the only one who gives or benefits is Allah Most High. With this, one should be certain that Allah Most High answers our duas, but in the way He knows is best for us.

When circumstances do not permit us to pray 2 rakats, one should still turn to Allah in supplication, raising one’s needs to Him, for He answers our supplications and loves being asked.

And Allah alone gives success.

Wassalam,

Faraz Rabbani

جاء في الفتاوى الهندية: [1/112]
( وَمِنْهَا ) صَلاةُ الْحَاجَةِ وَهِيَ رَكْعَتَانِ .قال خاتمة المحققين سيدي محمد أمينابنُعابدين (رحمه الله تعالى) في رد المحتار:
مطلب في صلاة الحاجة . ( قوله وأربع صلاة الحاجة إلخ ) قال الشيخ إسماعيل:ومن المندوبات صلاة الحاجة , ذكرها في التجنيس والملتقط وخزانة الفتاوىوكثيرمن الفتاوى والحاوي وشرح المنية . أما في الحاوي فذكر أنها ثنتا عشرة ركعة,وبين كيفيتها بما فيه كلام . وأما في التجنيس وغيره , فذكر أنها أربع ركعاتبعدالعشاء وأن في الحديث المرفوع يقرأ في الاولى الفاتحة مرة وآية الكرسي ثلاثا ,وفيكل من الثلاثة الباقية يقرأ الفاتحة والاخلاص والمعوذتين مرة مرة كن له مثلهنمنليلة القدر . قال مشايخنا : صلينا هذه الصلاة فقضيت حوائجنا مذكور فيالملتقط والتجنيس وكثير من الفتاوى , كذا في خزانة الفتاوى . وأما في شرح المنيةفذكر أنها ركعتان , والاحاديث فيها مذكورة في الترغيب والترهيب كما في البحر. وأخرج الترمذي عن عبد الله بن أبي أوفى قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليهوسلم { من كانت له إلى الله حاجة أو إلى أحد من بني آدم فليتوضأ وليحسنالوضوء ثم ليصل ركعتين , ثم ليثن على الله تعالى , وليصل على النبي صلى الله عليهوسلم ثم ليقل لا إله إلا الله الحليم الكريم , سبحان الله رب العرش العظيم , الحمدلله رب العالمين . أسألك موجبات رحمتك , وعزائم مغفرتك , والغنيمة من كلبر , والسلامة من كل إثم , لا تدع لي ذنبا إلا غفرته , ولا هما إلا فرجته , ولاحاجة هي لك رضا إلا قضيتها يا أرحم الراحمين } " . ا هـ . أقول : وقد عقدفي آخر الحلية فصلا مستقلا لصلاة الحاجة , وذكر ما فيها من الكيفيات والرواياتوالادعية وأطال وأطاب كما هو عادته - رحمه الله تعالى - فليراجعه من أراده

cheesegirl
26-Nov-2008, 03:27 PM
Khurooj is just an Urdu word meaning "going out". The word itself has no real significance, it's just come into common usage that's all!

Actually I think khurooj is Arabic, maybe? Like in the Quran it says "kharaja" i.e. go out.

Abu Layla
26-Nov-2008, 03:31 PM
I think it's offensive to refer to these figures as internet scholars. The term is generally used to describe someone like me (an ignorant layman) giving fataawa and debating to death religious matters that I have little or no knowledge about, even if I had a lot of knowledge about it, same thing.

Abu Layla
26-Nov-2008, 03:39 PM
It's also arabic, as far as I know (i.e. not far at all).

@sim
26-Nov-2008, 05:08 PM
Sis, nobody alive today is equal to the dirt under Imam Ghazali's shoe, and I'm not saying it as an insult, but rather as a mark of humility in comparison to the greatness of someone like Imam Ghazali. It's an Urdu Phrase so perhaps it seems offensive when translated in English? It's not an insult in Urdu, it's said as a mark of honour towards someone.

:salam:

You are aware that Al-Ghazzali initially held strange views...

Al-Dhahabi narrated in his book Siyar A’laam al-Nubala’ that Muhammad ibn al-Waleed al-Tartooshi said in a letter which he sent to Ibn Muzaffar: As for what you mentioned about Abu Haamid, I have seen him and spoken to him, and I think that he is a man of great knowledge, he is intelligent and capable, and has been studying all of his life, spending most of his time in study, but then he drifted away from the path of the scholars and entered the crowd of worshippers. Then he became a Sufi and forsook knowledge and its people, then he got involved with “inspiration”, those who claim to have spiritual knowledge, and the insinuating whispers of the Shaytaan. Then he mixed that with the views of the philosophers and the symbolic phrases of al-Hallaaj, and he started to criticize the fuqaha’ and the scholars of ‘ilm al-kalaam. He almost went astray from the religion altogether. When he wrote al-Ihya’ [i.e., Ihya’ ‘Uloom al-Deen], he started to speak of the inspiration and symbolic words of the Sufis, although he was not qualified to do that and had no deep knowledge of such matters. Hence he failed, and filled his book with fabricated reports.

To quote Sheikh Al-Islam Ibn-Tayimiyah (may allah have mercy on him):

"If we assume that someone narrated the view of the salaf but what he narrated is far removed from what the view of the salaf actually is, then he has little knowledge of the view of the salaf, such as Abu’l-Ma’aali, Abu Haamid al-Ghazzaali, Ibn al-Khateeb and the like, who did not have enough knowledge of hadeeth to qualify them as ordinary scholars of hadeeth, let alone as prominent scholars in that field. For none of these people had any knowledge of al-Bukhaari and Muslim and their ahaadeeth, apart from what they heard, which is similar to the situation of the ordinary Muslim, who cannot distinguish between a hadeeth which is regarded as saheeh and mutawaatir according to the scholars of hadeeth, and a hadeeth which is fabricated and false. Their books bear witness to that, for they contain strange things and most of these scholars of ‘ilm al-kalaam and Sufis who have drifted away from the path of the salaf admit that, either at the time of death or before death. There are many such well-known stories. This Abu Haamid al-Ghazzaali, despite his brilliance, his devotion to Allaah, his knowledge of kalaam and philosophy, his asceticism and spiritual practices and his Sufism, ended up in a state of confusion and resorted to the path of those who claim to find out things through dreams and spiritual methods."

Al-Ghazzali, towards the end of his life came back to the fold of Ahlus-Sunnah though...

Also, as for Khurooj (think Jamaat Tabligh)... whilst the actions may be pious, the intentions are a bit whacked out... going on khurooj for 40 days or several months...

as for the Jamaat Tabligh... the book which the Tablighis follow... Fadaail e-Amaal is full of shirk and biddah... you might as well throw the kitchen sink in there whilst your at it...

Just to give people some really whacked out quotes:

“Hazrat Ibn Jalaa relates, “While in Medina I once suffered tremendous hunger. It became so unbearable that I presented myself at the grave of Rasoolullah and said, “O Rasoolullah, I suffer great hunger. I am now your guest.” Thereafter, sleep overtook me and in a vision, I saw Rasoolullah give me a piece of bread. I ate half of it, and when I woke up, I found myself with the other half of that piece of bread still in my hands.”

[Fazaail-e-Aamaal, (Eng. Trans.), Virtues of Hajj, Chapter.9, story no.23, p.178]

???? ASKING SOMEONE IN THE GRAVE????

"Once a group of Arabs went to visit the grave of a very generous person and stayed there for the night. One of them in a dream saw the man of the grave who asked him to sell his camel for his Bakhti camel (Bakhti is a good kind of camel). The man agreed and the man of the grave stood and slaughtered the camel. When the man woke up, he found it bleeding. He slaughtered it and distributed the meat. When the group returned then at a stage, a man came riding a Bakhti camel and enquired whether among them was a man of such and such name. The man who saw the dream came forward and said he was that man. The man related his dream. The camel rider said the man of the grave was his father and he had directed him in a dream to give this camel to him. He gave the animal to the man and went away."

[Fazaail-e-Aamaal, (Eng. Trans.), Virtues of Charity, Chapter.7, story no.16, p.193]

DEAD MAN WALKING???

But the Fazaail Aamal says, “Abul Husain Maliki says that he associated with Shaikh Khair Nurbaf for several years. The Shaikh said to him, eight days before his death. ‘I shall die on Thursday evening, at the time of Maghrib Salaat, and I shall be buried on Friday after Jumuah Salaat.” Although, he advised me not to forget, but I forgot about it and, on Friday morning, a man told me about the Shaikh’s death. I immediately went to his place… asked people the details of the Shaikh’s experience of death. A person… narrated to me that the Shaikh swooned for a while just before Maghrib Salaat. Then, he recovered somewhat and said to someone in the corner of the room, who was invisible to others, ‘Stop for a while; you have been commanded to do a thing and I have been commanded to do a thing. That which you are commanded to do (viz. to take my life) will not escape you, but that which I am commanded to do (viz. to observe Maghrib Salaat) will escape me. Let me do as I am commanded.” He then called for water, made a fresh Wudhu and performed Maghrib Salaat. After this, he laid himself on the bed, closed his eyes and gave up his life.”

[Fazaail-e-Aamaal, (Eng. Trans.) Virtues of Charity, Chapter.6, p.609]

KNOWLEDGE OF THE UNSEEN????

Tay_
26-Nov-2008, 05:26 PM
as for the Jamaat Tabligh... the book which the Tablighis follow... Fadaail e-Amaal is full of shirk and biddah... you might as well throw the kitchen sink in there whilst your at it

That is utterly disgusting to suggest that. Perhaps according to the opinion you follow but not everyone sees it that way.

Tay_
26-Nov-2008, 05:27 PM
Al-Ghazzali, towards the end of his life came back to the fold of Ahlus-Sunnah though...

He (r) never left it to begin with

Tay_
26-Nov-2008, 05:29 PM
Imam Al-Ghazalî (http://www.livingislam.org/ghaz_e.html#tasw)

@sim
26-Nov-2008, 05:37 PM
That is utterly disgusting to suggest that.

No its not.

Perhaps according to the opinion you follow but not everyone sees it that way.

Go and read it then. I merely gave some sample quotes.

He (r) never left it to begin with

Your reply was well anticipated and expected as was the quick linking and as will be the reply from others quick to jump on the bandwagon as well.

Umm Binyameen
26-Nov-2008, 06:14 PM
What I don't understand Brother Tay is why you didn't jump in when a sister on this thread said that scholars like Sh. Al-Albani and others were 'internet scholars not equal to the dirt under Imam Gazhali's feet.....'? (post #18 and later) Yet when @sim quoted some things from the Jamaat Tablique book that are Clearly shirk, that you have a problem with it? Or posted some information from other scholars about Imam Ghazali going astray?

I don't understand why someone can say something completely wrong from their own opinion about great scholars and that's ok, but say something about their own scholar who they follow and its so wrong. There has to be some consistency here. And I don't think anyone should put down any scholars, as they are in a world of their own from us, even if they were not perfect. We don't know how much Allah loves them, and how much we will anger Him by our talk.

Tay_
26-Nov-2008, 06:55 PM
No its not

The traditional scholars of the deen will disagree with you, and even with the Shuyukh that follow your opinion would not express it in such a vile manner in the way that you did. The way you described it was uncalled for and once again I will say it, utterly disgusting.

Go and read it then. I merely gave some sample quotes

I've read it. I, along with many others disagree with it

Your reply was well anticipated and expected as was the quick linking and as will be the reply from others quick to jump on the bandwagon as well.

You anticipated that I would reply or you anticipated that someone else would reply in the same way I did? Either way it makes no difference. Call it what you will in the end...

Tay_
26-Nov-2008, 07:06 PM
What I don't understand Brother Tay is why you didn't jump in when a sister on this thread said that scholars like Sh. Al-Albani and others were 'internet scholars not equal to the dirt under Imam Gazhali's feet.....'? (post #18 and later) Yet when @sim quoted some things from the Jamaat Tablique book that are Clearly shirk, that you have a problem with it? Or posted some information from other scholars about Imam Ghazali going astray?

There is no comparison with any 19th century scholar compared to the scholars of the early times. In terms of the "clear shirk" this is based on an opinion that not everyone follows, and an opinion that the traditional scholars of the deen would not follow. I have an issue with the way Brother Asim expressed his dislike for the text as it was not done with adab.

I don't understand who someone can say something completely wrong from their own opinion about great scholars and that's ok, but say something about their own scholar who they follow and its so wrong. There has to be some consistency here. And I don't think anyone should put down any scholars, as they are in a world of their own from us, even if they were not perfect. We don't know how much Allah loves them, and how much we will anger Him by our talk.

There has to be adab all round regardless of the Shaykh or Shaykha in question. The way the real Shuyukh disagree with each other is far different from how the lay people disagree with them.

Tay_
26-Nov-2008, 07:11 PM
Weak Hadiths and "Fada'il al-A`mal"

Answered by Shaykh Abdurrahman ibn Yusuf Mangera
Question:

I have a question regarding the text Faza'il - e - A'maal by Shaikhul Hadith Maulana Muhammad Zakariyya Kaandhlawi. From many I've heard that this text contains many weak hadiths and should not be read for the hadiths all are not saheeh. Is this correct? If so, please explain if this text would be appropriate to read and are the hadiths with strong chains?
Answer:

Assalamu alaykum

In the name of Allah most Gracious Most Merciful.

Along with many sahih hadiths, Fada'il A'mal is also known to contain a number of weak hadiths. In fact many of the great hadith collections contain weak hadiths. This is the case with Sunan al-Tirmidhi, Ibn Maja, al-Bayhaqi, al-Mustadrak of Imam Hakim, Mishkat al-Masabih, al-Tarqhib wa al-tarhib, etc. Besides these, popular works such as the Ihya 'ulum al-din of Imam Ghazali is one in which Allama 'Iraqi has judged many hadiths to be weak. However, these works have been overwhelmingly accepted by the majority of traditional scholars of Islam throughout the centuries. Furthermore, despite the rigorous authentication of the Sahih of Imam Bukhari, his other works such as al-Adab al-Mufrad and Juz' al-qira'a khalf al-imam contains many weak narrations.

What we understand from this is that it is not a crime to relate weak hadiths, as some like to advocate. Individuals have risen in the last century who have attempted to "purify" the books of the pious predecessors by sifting the weak hadiths from the authentic (many a time with great injustice) and have published the classical collection under new titles such as Sahih Sunan al-Tirmidhi, Sahih Sunan Ibn Maja, etc.

The approach of the classical scholars was not such. It was accepted among them that works on the subject of virtues and fada'il did not have to meet the same levels of authenticity as was needed in discussions on the belief system of Islam or the laws and rulings of the lawful and unlawful.

Great hadith experts such as Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Ibn al-Mahdi, 'Abdullah ibn al-Mubarak said, "When we narrate in regards to the lawful [halal] and unlawful [haram] we exercise extreme strictness and when we narrate in regards to virtuous and the like (stories and narratives) then we are more lenient. (See Suyuti's Tadrib al-rawi).

We learn from this statement that the scholars were more relaxed in the case of using weak hadith in virtues, but were very strict when it came to aspects of belief or fiqhi rulings. There were also other conditions for accepting weak hadith. For instance, the weakness should not be extreme that it is bordering on fabrication or the hadith should not be a spurious one. Likewise the weak hadith should not contradict an established principle of Shari'a or go against the spirit of the teachings of Islam (See Tadrib al-rawi).

If one takes the approach of shunning every book that contains weak hadiths would be left with very few books to benefit from. This would create great difficulty in regard to the din. Imam Tirmidhi has demonstrated in his Sunan as to how so many fiqhi rulings have been based on not-so-strong narrations.

The Fada'il A'mal is not a book of juristic laws. it is a book of virtues and as such there is no doubt that one can read it and practice on the virtues mentioned therein, even if they are from weak hadiths. Allah has granted this book such a widespread popularity that it is difficult in many countries to find a masjid without a copy. Many have benefited and softened their hearts for the remembrance of Allah and other such virtuous acts by reading it and the Fada'il Sadaqat by the same author.

The author Shaykh Zakariya Khandelwi taught the Sahih al-Bukhari for numerous years and spent his entire life in the service of the hadith of the Messenger (upon him be peace). His works include the editing of the Badhl al-Majhud (Arabic commentary of Sunan Abi Dawud), al-Hall al-Mufhim (Arabic commentary of Sahih Muslim), and al-La'ali al-Dirari (Arabic commentary of Sahih al-Bukhari); then the Awjaz al-Masalik is his Arabic commentary of the Muwatta of Imam Malik (Dar al-Fikr, Syria edition over twenty volumes), and the Khasa'il al-Nabawi, his Urdu commentary of the al-Shama'il al-Muhammadiya of Imam Tirmidhi. Besides these he has authored numerous other works in Urdu. He passed away in Madina Munawwara on Monday the 1st of Sha'ban 1402 corresponding to 24th May 1982.

Wassalam
Abdurrahman ibn Yusuf

naqabi
27-Nov-2008, 10:07 AM
Bro Tay, Jazakallah Kheir, may Allah (SWT) reward u greatly! :-D.

Once a woman came up to Umar (RA), and started heaping insult and abuse on him and he listened to her until she was done and said nothing. A sahabi who was watching asked why he didn't reply to her and he said " I never argue with the ignorant". It's excellent advice and I think it's best if we follow it. If ppl want to slander Imam Ghazzali (RA), and discard the word of Rasulullah (SAW) coz they don't have sufficient knowledge to realise why a hadith may be classified as Daif and why it's Still the word of Rasulullah (SAW), it's best to let them be.

MrWarraEnib
27-Nov-2008, 10:26 AM
I got a headache...

Abu Layla
27-Nov-2008, 11:03 AM
As far as I know, you can't say that a da`eef hadith is definitely the words of rasulullaah :saw:... I may be wrong. Yay or nay?

Abu Layla
27-Nov-2008, 11:04 AM
I got a headache...

Do what Abdul Basit is doing in your Avatar and it might make your headache go away.

@sim
27-Nov-2008, 11:07 AM
Tay,

Why is it disgusting? Perhaps a bit over the top, but certainly not disgusting. I also find it rather odd that you would take open objection to this, yet whenever some random Rambo wannabe hops on to these forums and starts slandering islam or our beloved prophet :saw: you suddenly disappear off the face of the forums, or or simply return to post crap about AFL or Prison Break or whatnot. No objections there eh?

Yet you have utterly vocal objections to something negative regarding Fadaail-e-amaal? Do you even know how jahil people are in the subcontinent? Do you even know about the kind of crap that goes on in that part of the world? Yes there are sahih hadith in the book, but there is more harm than good in the book, particularly when you mix ignorance and shirk+biddah together. there is absolutely no reason to go about spreading it. It doesn't take a blind man to see that.

naqabi: Who is slandering Al-Ghazzali? Only historical facts have been mentioned. If you are referring to the quotes by Ibn-Taymiyah (may allah have mercy on him), then you really should read more beyond the hanafi mathab, sufi texts, (and potentially fadaail-e-amaal). but in the end, ye aap ki marzi hai agar aap aur ilm hasil karna chahte hai ya nahi.

There is absolutely no reason to over glorify pious people. That's what people in the subcontinent do... and then they eventually end up asking these people for help at their "mazaar"...

Umm Binyameen
27-Nov-2008, 02:36 PM
TAY said:
There is no comparison with any 19th century scholar compared to the scholars of the early times

That didn't answer the question Brother.