PDA

View Full Version : Rituals for the newborn

shaquille20
25-Oct-2010, 06:15 PM
Assalamu Aleikum,

Is there such a ritual in Islam where a newborn baby needs to be given zam zam water and a piece of date upon birth or is it a cultural thing?

aussiemu
25-Oct-2010, 06:22 PM
wa alaikum assalam

Haven't heard of the zamzam thing.

The date thing is called tahneek and is a sunnah:

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/7889

wassalamu alaikum

muslimah09
25-Oct-2010, 07:26 PM
i know there some diff of opinions of shaving the girls hairs being part of the sunnah. i have always done it with my 2 girls shave there hair on the seventh day but there a bit of confusion if it sunnah or not.

shaquille20
25-Oct-2010, 07:30 PM
i know there some diff of opinions of shaving the girls hairs being part of the sunnah. i have always done it with my 2 girls shave there hair on the seventh day but there a bit of confusion if it sunnah or not.

Is there any hadees pertaining to the shaving the hair part? The culture where I grew up in has all those that is mentioned in the Fatwa...

Abdraheim
25-Oct-2010, 07:35 PM
Should the hair of a baby girl be shaved at birth? May it be shaved for the purpose of making the hair stronger?
What is the ruling on shaving the hair of a baby girl at birth or after that in order to make the hair stronger and thicker? Is it Sunnah to shave her hair at birth as in the case of males?.

Praise be to Allaah.
It is not Sunnah to shave a girl’s head on the seventh day as is the case for boys. With regard to shaving it for a reason, as referred to in the question, if that is true, the scholars say that it is makrooh to shave the head of a girl, but it may be said that if it is proven that this is something that will make the hair grow and become thick, then there is nothing wrong with it, because it is well known that what is makrooh is no longer regarded as makrooh if there is a reason for it.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, Majmoo’at As’ilat tahumm al-Usrat al-Muslimah, p. 147.

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/14248

aussiemu
25-Oct-2010, 07:35 PM
Yeah there is different opinions. We shaved the head of both of our girls.

shquille: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/334/

Ummi_Abdulmalik
25-Oct-2010, 07:56 PM
My sister in law shaved her daughter's head...

shaquille20
25-Oct-2010, 08:39 PM
Thank you for all the info...

And now for the list of things to do when the baby is born:in:

Ummi_Abdulmalik
26-Oct-2010, 10:58 AM
I know the date is something the Prophet(as) use to feed a baby when it was born, so that'd be a Sunnah

*saRah*
26-Oct-2010, 11:58 AM
Thank you for all the info...

And now for the list of things to do when the baby is born:in:

As sallamu 3allaykum,

This helped me alot after the birth of my son. Hope it helps :)

Question:

what should I do or be prepared with in receiving my new born baby in 1 or two days time. Any sunnah that I should follow.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:
We ask Allaah to bless your new baby for you and to make him among the righteous and pious so that he will weigh in the balance of your good deeds, because it was reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the son of Adam dies, all his good deeds come to an end, apart from three: sadaqah jaariyah (ongoing charity, such as a waqf or endowment), beneficial knowledge, and a righteous son who will pray for him.” (Narrated by Muslim, 1631).

Secondly:
There is no action prescribed in sharee’ah for preparing to welcome a new baby a day or two before he is born, as far as we know. But one can recite general du’aa’s, such as praying for the newborn to be safe and sound, to be guided, and so on. Allaah mentioned in His Book the prayer of the righteous woman, the wife of ‘Imraan, who said (interpretation of the meaning):

“(Remember) when the wife of ‘Imraan said: ‘O my Lord! I have vowed to You what (the child that) is in my womb to be dedicated for Your services (free from all worldly work; to serve Your place of worship), so accept this from me. Verily, You are the All-Hearer, the All-Knowing.’

Then when she gave birth to her [child Maryam (Mary)], she said: ‘O my Lord! I have given birth to a female child,’ — and Allaah knew better what she brought forth, — ‘And the male is not like the female, and I have named her Maryam (Mary), and I seek refuge with You (Allaah) for her and for her offspring from Shaytaan (Satan), the outcast.’” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:35-36]

There follows an outline of what should be done on the day of the child’s birth, and after that:

It is mustahabb to do tahneek for the baby and to pray for him.

It was reported that Abu Moosa said: “I had a baby boy, and I brought him to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). He named him Ibraaheem, did Tahneek with some dates and prayed for Allaah to bless him, then he gave him back to me.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5150; Muslim, 2145). Tahneek means putting something sweet, such as dates or honey, in the child’s mouth when he is first born.

It is permissible to name the child on the first day or on the seventh.

It was reported that Anas ibn Maalik said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A boy was born to me this night and I have named him with the name of my father Ibraaheem.” (Narrated by Muslim, 3126).

It was reported that ‘Aa’ishah said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did ‘aqeeqah for al-Hasan and al-Husayn on the seventh day, and gave them their names. (Narrated by Ibn Hibbaan, 12/127; al-Haakim, 4/264. Classed as saheeh by al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar in Fath al-Baari, 9/589).

‘Aqeeqah and circumcision

It was reported from Salmaan ibn ‘Aamir (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “For the boy there should be an ‘aqeeqah. Slaughter (an animal) for him and remove the harmful thing [i.e., the foreskin] from him.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1515; al-Nasaa’i, 4214; Abu Dawood, 2839; Ibn Maajah, 3164. The hadeeth was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani, may Allaah have mercy on him, in al-Irwaa’, 4/396).

It was reported that Samurah ibn Jundub (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A boy is ransomed by his ‘aqeeqah. Sacrifice should be made for him on the seventh day, he should be given a name and his head should be shaved.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1522; al-Nasaa’i, 4220 and Abu Dawood, 2838. The hadeeth was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani, may Allaah have mercy on him, in al-Irwaa’ 4/385).

Imaam ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Among the benefits of ‘aqeeqah are:

It is a sacrifice by means of which the child is brought close to Allaah soon after he comes into this world.

It is a ransom for the newborn; his ‘aqeeqah ransoms him so that he can intercede for his parents.

It is a sacrifice by which the newborn is ransomed just as Allaah ransomed Ismaa’eel with the ram. (Tuhfat al-Mawdood, p. 69).

Perhaps another benefit of the ‘aqeeqah is the gathering of relatives and friends for the waleemah (feast).

4.Circumcision is part of the Sunan al-Fitrah (practices related to the pure and natural inclinations of man). It is obligatory in the case of boys because it is connected to matters of purity which are essential conditions of prayer.

It was reported from Abu Hurayrah: “Five things are related to the Fitrah: circumcision, removing the pubic hairs, plucking the armpit hairs, cutting the nails, and trimming the moustache.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5550; Muslim, 257).

Thirdly:
Among the Sunnahs for welcoming the newborn, the scholars mentioned that the Adhaan should be recited into the baby’s right ear so that the first thing he hears in this world will be the words of Tawheed, which will have a great and blessed effect on the child. With regard to reciting the iqaamah in the child’s left ear, there is nothing to prove that this is required. (See al-Silsilat al-Da’eefah, 1/491).

Fourthly:
Shaving the child’s head then anointing the child’s head with saffron is very beneficial. Then it is prescribed to give in charity gold or silver equal in weight to the hair. This does not have to be done by actually weighing the hair; if it is too difficult to do that, it is sufficient to estimate the weight and give paper currency equivalent to the price of that amount of gold or silver. We ask Allaah to protect us and our children from all evil and to keep them safe and sound in this world and in the Hereafter. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Islam_Junkie
30-Oct-2010, 03:15 PM
J/khair Sarah for that post, Alhumdullilah we did all these things for the birth of our son. I was only going to add that its advisable the placenta should be retained and buried. You will need to inform the doctor/midwife that you would like to take it home for burial.

muslimah09
30-Oct-2010, 09:14 PM
J/khair Sarah for that post, Alhumdullilah we did all these things for the birth of our son. I was only going to add that its advisable the placenta should be retained and buried. You will need to inform the doctor/midwife that you would like to take it home for burial.

reason????????????

muslimah09
30-Oct-2010, 09:18 PM
Fourthly:
Shaving the child’s head then anointing the child’s head with saffron is very beneficial.

the issue is here bcos his says child. a child is either a boy or a girl right? but some ppl say not to shave a girls hair only boys. whats the difference??

El Muslima
30-Oct-2010, 09:25 PM
reason????????????

I did the same too with all my children because the placenta could be used by them for many things ....not sure 100% what all the reasons are ;but at least sold to make make-up.

I also refused the Vit k for my child as the paeditrician confirmed at that time that it contained animal ingredient.

Lina
30-Oct-2010, 09:51 PM
we shaved all our kids hair because we thought it was compulsory for both sexes but NOW have been told otherwise. Don't regret it but i probably wont shave the next girls hair inshaAllaah. Only sons.

As for the placenta.....ew.

muslimah09
30-Oct-2010, 10:05 PM
each to there own :)

cheesegirl
30-Oct-2010, 10:16 PM
Some women eat their placenta.

El Muslima
30-Oct-2010, 10:18 PM
Why ?

SuBMiSSioN
30-Oct-2010, 10:29 PM
Some women eat their placenta.

Thanks. I just got turned off my ice-cream that I was quite enjoying :(
:smack:

Ahmad
30-Oct-2010, 10:32 PM
Looks tasty.

http://www.google.com/images?q=placenta

NOT

SuBMiSSioN
30-Oct-2010, 10:33 PM
^I'm glad I stopped eating before seeing that.

Now I feel sick.

muslimah09
30-Oct-2010, 10:43 PM
i know they do research on them for cures. no biggy

cheesegirl
30-Oct-2010, 10:48 PM
No joke, they think it has health benefits - like getting iron levels up, I think something to do with getting hormone levels back up or something?

It is sickening... you can even get it dried up and made into pills. Although some think that you need to put a piece under your tongue straight away so that the good stuff can be absorbed straight into your blood stream...

UmmRashid
30-Oct-2010, 10:51 PM
lol i take it nobody here would be interested in a lotus birth.

muslimah09
30-Oct-2010, 10:52 PM
haha . i remember when i was in labour the midwife told me there was someone that took it home invited ppl over and had a dinner party. rather take iron supplements thanku

SuBMiSSioN
30-Oct-2010, 10:54 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hZy-KGJJZ3o/Rv9v572KW-I/AAAAAAAAAQs/hgCWq8aJp5o/s320/ist2_1805086_hungry_emoticon_with_clipping_path.jp g

SuBMiSSioN
30-Oct-2010, 10:55 PM
Lotus birth? Do I even wanna know what that is? lol

UmmRashid
30-Oct-2010, 10:58 PM
lol probably not

UmmRashid
30-Oct-2010, 11:01 PM
Its not as bad as eating but I'll just tell you what it is because i'm going. its basically when they dont cut the cord, and they leave the placenta attached until it falls off by itself.

muslimah09
30-Oct-2010, 11:01 PM
im interested

Lina
30-Oct-2010, 11:12 PM
Lotus birth
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Lotus birth, or umbilical nonseverance, is the practice of leaving the umbilical cord attached to both the baby and the placenta following birth, without clamping or severing, and allowing the cord the time to detach from the baby naturally. In this way the baby, cord and placenta are treated as a single unit until detachment occurs, generally two to three days after birth.

Practice

Immediately postpartum, the umbilical cord pulsates as it transfers blood from the placenta to the baby. Changes in the cord's Wharton's jelly then produce a natural internal clamping within 10-20 minutes postpartum. Care providers immediately assign an Apgar score and proceed with any needed neonatal suctioning or stimulation, but usually postpone further procedures to allow the baby skin-to-skin time with its mother and initiate breastfeeding. The baby-cord-placenta unit is swaddled by the mother in arms or held by the father or a nurse if maternal suturing is needed.

Excess fluids are wiped off the placenta, which is then placed in an open bowl or wrapped in permeable cloth and kept in close proximity to the neonate. Air is allowed to circulate around the placenta to encourage it to dry out and avoid it becoming malodorous. Sea salt is often applied to the placenta to help dry it out. Sometimes essential oils, such as lavender, or powdered herbs, such as goldenseal, neem, or lavender, are also applied to encourage drying and for their antibacterial properties. If drying applications are not applied, the well-aired placenta will develop a distinct, musky scent which can be halted by directly planting it or by refrigerated storage after the first postpartum week.

The umbilical cord dries to sinew and after a few days naturally detaches from the umbilicus. As it dries it becomes stiff; parents thus take great care to move the baby and the cord as little as possible to avoid causing it to detach prematurely.

Lotus births are rarely practiced in hospitals; they are more common in birth centers and at home births.
[edit] Underlying beliefs

Once the umbilical cord has stopped pulsating after birth, transfer of physical substances is complete. However, proponents of lotus births view the baby and the placenta as existing within the same auric field, with energy transfers continuing to take place gradually from the placenta to the baby via the umbilical cord as the placenta dries out. The baby is seen as being given the time and space to let go, gently and at its own pace, of its connection to the placenta with which it shared the womb and which nourished it for its entire life so far. The process is individual to each baby based on its physical condition at birth.

This approach stands in opposition to common medical training and practice in hospitals and global medical centers, which favours an active management of third-stage labour (the delivery of the placenta): administration of oxytocic drugs, immediate external clamping of the cord at birth, cutting it forthwith, then applying traction to the cord to speed the birth of the placenta [1]. The cord blood may or may not be harvested for cord blood banking. The baby's umbilical cord and placenta are then disposed of as medical waste, or, with the mother’s consent, may be donated for research into pregnancy and pregnancy disorders.
Extended-delayed cord severance care: intact umbilicus one hour postpartum. 2006

Primatologist Jane Goodall, who was the first person to conduct any long-term studies of chimpanzees in the wild, reported that they did not chew or cut their offspring’s cords, instead leaving the umbilicus intact. [2] Because humans share 99% genetic material with chimpanzees, some lotus birth practitioners refer to chimpanzee practice as a natural practice for humans as well. (Since many cases of chimpanzee cord separation have also been documented, further studies are required.)
[edit] Historical development

In Tibetan and Zen Buddhism, the term "lotus birth" is used to describe spiritual teachers such as Gautama Buddha and Padmasambhava (Lien-hua Sen), emphasizing their entrance into the world as intact, holy children. References to lotus births are also found in Hinduism, for example in the story of the birth of Vishnu.[citation needed]

Although recently arisen as an alternative birth phenomenon in the West, delayed umbilical severance and umbilical nonseverance have been recorded in a number of cultures including that of the Balinese [3] and of some aboriginal peoples such as the !Kung.

Early American pioneers, in written diaries and letters, reported practicing nonseverance of the umbilicus as a preventative measure to protect the infant from an open wound infection.[4]

The practice gained notice in the yoga practitioner community when Jeannine Parvati Baker, author of the first book on prenatal yoga in the West, Prenatal Yoga & Natural Childbirth, practiced umbilical nonseverance for two of her own births, seeing it as a practical application of the yogic value of ahimsa as well as the core yoga teaching inherent in the primal bonding process that "all attachments will fall away of their own accord."

In the 1990s, Sarah Buckley MD, an Australian family physician and noted parenting advisor for the magazine Mothering, published her personal birth stories in the text Lotus Birth; she has produced numerous scholarly publications of her research on the physiological benefits of passive management of third-stage labor.[5]

Umbilical nonseverance is an informed choice option currently practiced by a minority of homebirth and hospital birth families (see the research of Sarah Buckley, M.D. and international midwife Robin Lim), and an increasingly popular continuing education topic for licensed midwives and certified nurse midwives in publications such as the magazines Midwifery Today and Mothering. Particularly compelling to these professionals is the reported absence of healthy neonatal weight loss and breastfeeding jaundice in lotus birth scenarios; however, studies of this correlation have indicated a significantly increased risk of jaundice in infants where the umbilical cord is clamped later than 60 seconds after birth.[6]

El Muslima
31-Oct-2010, 06:09 PM
So, when is the baby due , Bro Shaquille ? :)

##A'isha##
31-Oct-2010, 07:14 PM
Roast Placenta
1-3lb fresh placenta (must be no more than 3 days old)
1 onion
1 green or red pepper (green will add colour)
1 cup tomato sauce
1 sleeve saltine crackers
1 tspn bay leaves
1 tspn black pepper
1 tspn white pepper
1 clove garlic (roasted and minced)

Method
(Preheat oven to 350 degrees)
1. Chop the onion and the pepper & crush the saltines into crumbs.
2. Combine the placenta, onion, pepper, saltines, bay leaves, white and black pepper, garlic and tomato sauce.
3. Place in a loaf pan, cover then bake for one and a half hours, occasionally pouring off excess liquid.
4. Serve and enjoy!

Placenta Cocktail
Ingredients:

1/4 cup fresh, raw placenta
8oz V-8 juice
2 ice cubes
1/2 cup carrot

Method: blend at high speed for 10 seconds. Serve. A tasty thirst quencher!

Placenta Lasagne
Ingredients:

1 fresh, ground, or minced placenta, prepared as above
2 tblspns olive oil
2 sliced cloves garlic
1/2 tspn oregano
1/2 diced onion
2 tblspns tomato paste, or 1 whole tomato

Method: use a recipe for lasagne and substitute this mixture for one layer of cheese. Quickly saut� all the ingredients in olive oil. Serve. Enjoy!
Placenta Spaghetti Bolognaise
Ingredients:

1 fresh placenta, prepared as above
1 tblspn butter
1 large can tomato puree
2 cans crushed pear tomatoes
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tblspn molasses
1 bay leaf
1 tblspn rosemary
1 tspn each of: salt, honey, oregano, basil, and fennel

Method: cut the placenta meat into bite-sized pieces, then brown quickly in the butter and olive oil. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 1-1.5 hours. Serve. Yummy!

Dehydrating your placenta

Instead of cooking your placenta whole, you can dehydrate it and then add it to meals! The following method is extracted from an article entitled "Thinking About Eating Your Placenta?" by Susan James, which appeared in the winter 1996 issue of "The Compleat Mother". It was discovered posted on a newsgroup noticeboard, so we cannot absolutely guarantee its authenticity, or that it is an actual verbatim account of the magazine article.
Method:

Cut off the cord and membranes.
Steam the placenta, adding lemon grass, pepper and ginger to the steaming water. The placenta is "done" when no blood comes out when you pierce it with a fork.
Cut the placenta into thin slices (like making jerky) and bake in a low-heat oven (200-250 degrees F), until it is dry and crumbly (several hours).
Crush the placenta into a powder - using a food processor, blender, mortar and pestle, or by putting it in a bag and grinding it with rocks.
Put the powder into empty gel caps (available at drug and health food stores) or just add a spoonful to your cereal, blender drink, etc.
The recommended doses vary, some suggest up to 4 capsules a day, others just one. Perhaps the best advice is to take what makes you feel good

El Muslima
31-Oct-2010, 07:19 PM
Maybe nice as a rendang dish ? :)

shaquille20
31-Oct-2010, 07:33 PM
So, when is the baby due , Bro Shaquille ? :)

Insha Allah, December 17th... Please make dua that our child be a good slave to Allah...

shaquille20
31-Oct-2010, 07:35 PM
Seriously, is the placenta even halal to begin with? and all these dishes using placenta... i am hoping is a joke from Aisha...

cheesegirl
31-Oct-2010, 10:26 PM
It isn't a joke, and obviously no it is NOT halal to eat a piece of your own body, yuk!

##A'isha##
31-Oct-2010, 10:34 PM
alot of kaffir actually DO use those recipes. alot of people believe that it prevents post natal depression. ect

Ahmad
31-Oct-2010, 10:34 PM
Huh? You mean the thought of slicing into a fresh placenta and having the blood just ooze out like a wonderfully poached egg isn't mouth watering?

*saRah*
31-Oct-2010, 11:39 PM

Waiyaki sis, your welcome :) About the Placenta SUBHANALLAH that is one amazing body part. does it have to be buried b/cos it's a human part?

Explorer
01-Nov-2010, 12:19 AM
^I was told we had to bury the placenta, I didn't really understand why but we still did it.
When I told the nurse to keep it she knew we wanted to bury it, it must be really common.

*saRah*
01-Nov-2010, 12:31 AM
hmm i found this:

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/3794/placenta

Using human placentas to treat cancer

A Muslim couple expecting their first child soon would like to preserve the afterbirth (placenta and fetal membranes), which has been found to cure certain forms of cancer. Is this lawful in Islam?

Praise be to Allaah.

We put the following question to Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen:

Question:

What is the ruling on keeping the placenta to treat cancer and remove facial wrinkles?

He replied as follows:

It seems that there is nothing wrong with it so long as there is proof that it is an effective treatment.

Question: does the rule that whatever is taken from a living being is dead apply in this case?

Answer: dead matter of human origin is taahir (pure).

Question: and if it is of no use, should it be buried, or can it be disposed of in any place?

Answer: it seems that it is the same as nails and hair.

And Allaah knows best.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen

CrownUrEmaan
01-Nov-2010, 12:54 AM
I was once reading the explanation of the hadeeth below which is on giving dates to the newborn and you can't help but smile. It was more in detail (if I'm not mistaken) in another narration when the prophet rubbed it against the babies gums, the baby was making noise with his lips like it was enjoying it and that's when the prophet :saw: said (the bold part)

Sahih Muslim: Book 025, Number 5340:

Anas b. Malik reported: I took 'Abdullah b. Abi Talha Ansari to Allah's Messenger :saw: at the time of his birth. Allah's Messenger :saw: was at that time wearing a woollen cloak and besmearing the camels with tar. He said: Have you got with you the dates? I said: Yes. He took hold of the dates and put them in his mouth and softened them, then opened the mouth of the infant and put that in it and the child began to lick it. Thereupon Allah's Messenger :saw: said: The Ansar have a liking for the dates, and he :saw: gave him the name of 'Abdullah.