PDA

View Full Version : Balsamic vinegar

UmmRashid
19-May-2005, 04:30 PM
Assalamu alaikum,

anybody know if balsamic vinegar is halal or not?? I was going to get soe the other day but they said wine vinegar on the ingedients. One brand had balsamic vinegar on the ingredients not wine vinegar, but i thought maybe the balsamic vinegar was made of wine vinegar.

UmmNRZ
22-Feb-2009, 12:46 PM
http://www.islamtoday.com/showme2.cfm?cat_id=33&sub_cat_id=637

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/2283/vinegar

It is permitted for a Muslim to buy vinegar from someone who is selling it, unless he realizes or comes to know that it was produced by means of a deliberate process. ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “… There is nothing wrong with a man buying vinegar from the people of the Book, if they sell it, so long as he knows that they did not deliberately process it from wine.” (Al-Mughni, 8/330)

If you were to buy vinegar (white or balsamic) from the supermarkets how can you be sure that it wasn't a 'deliberate' process?

aussiemu
22-Feb-2009, 01:39 PM
UmmN&R: There is a question on islamtoday.net (under fatwa - dietary law) that says that using vinegar manufactured by non-Muslims is permissible. Also not all vinegar is manufactured by turning wine into vinegar too.

UmmRasheed
22-Feb-2009, 06:23 PM
i love vinegar...what do i read on the labels to know the difference????

UmmNRZ
22-Feb-2009, 10:38 PM
I love it too! I've recently discovered apple cider vinegar and I'm using it so much now. It's just so versatile. Is awesome even on its own with minimal spices to marinade chicken...yum!

Ariel
22-Feb-2009, 11:47 PM
Yummmmm! Apple Cider is delicious. I much prefer it over white/balsamic vinegar. I had no idea vinegar could be unhalal subhan'Allah... interesting thread.

*saRah*
22-Feb-2009, 11:57 PM
apparently Apple cider is good for stretch marks mixed with i think may warad? (rose water)

UmmNRZ
23-Feb-2009, 11:22 AM
I've heard it's good for weight loss too. Mix 1 tsp in 100ml warm water and drink first thing in the morning. I don't know if it actually works, Wallahu Alam.