I am really interested in the influence that the media has on the Islamic faith of Australia. In saying so i have decided to use this as a focus for a HSC project. I would really appreciate it if any Australian muslim/s could write in and tell me three negative stereotypes (1 being most evident) of Muslims in the Australian print media of today.
Results 1 to 7 of 7
05-Mar-2006 10:07 PM
- Join Date
- Mar 2006
05-Mar-2006 10:22 PM
- we're all apparently "terrosists" who commit "terrorism" yet the powers that be, UN etc etc havent even given as a concrete definition of what terrorism actually is. (because if they did then the west would be held accountable for their crimes as well)
- we're all apparently wife beaters - even though you'll find that most and the worst domestic violence is alcohol related and muslims dont drink alcohol, so it aint us doing it
- we're all "ignorant" or illiterate - read anything and everything written by andrew bolt - particularly the disingenuous article he wrote about a melbourne islamic college where he said muslims scored low HSC scores but failed to mention that most of the students didnt actually sit the HSC and sat something else, and actually scored quite well.
-the fact that our religion supposedly has something to do with muslims who commit crimes (see sydney gang rapes) where as when its a white christian who commits a crime, they're neither a terrorist NOR is there religion brought into it (see bondi incident recently and that of the white supremecist that was charged over wanting to blow up chinese takeaways but the word "terrorist" is never once mentioned)
- all muslim women are supposedly oppressed, have no brains, arent allowed to do anything, arent allowed to speak, contribute nothing to soceity, wish they didnt have to live a life by the rules of islam.. etc
- muslims are trying to breed white australia out of existance (see danna vales comments)
i'm sure someone else can give you a few more ideas“Fasting is not just giving up food and drink, rather fasting is giving up idle and obscene speech.” Narrated by al-Haakim; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5376.
05-Mar-2006 10:31 PM
- Join Date
- Apr 2004
1. Extremist radicals, terrorists.
2. Muslim women.
05-Mar-2006 10:39 PM
What one.muslim said would sum up what the top 3 are.
Good luck with your HSC project.
05-Mar-2006 11:12 PM
only if there are muslims out there who dont feel stereotyped, and i dont think there are“Fasting is not just giving up food and drink, rather fasting is giving up idle and obscene speech.” Narrated by al-Haakim; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5376.
06-Mar-2006 03:40 AM
- Join Date
- Mar 2006
- Riyad ul Salaam
Im new to this forum ...
My view about the media influence on muslim life .....is that muslim around the world we don't take time to think ...we consume what the Media give us without second thought ...
for me the recent happening around the world on the cartoons made on the prophet is a clear cut example.....May Alah curse those who did it
the muslim around the world have react spontaneously to this....i don't think of it as a thoughful action ....coz maybe it was a test for the Jews and non muslim to see to wht extent the muslim react unitedly .....and wht countries muslim react more fearcefully when they are attack ...
i dunno if any one follow this line of thought
08-Mar-2006 05:05 PM
Well the Muslims reacted unitedly did we pass?
3. Opress Women (I find this more of an insult to our women then it is to our men)."Man rejoices as long as the nights continue to pass by,
Yet, he too, as they vanish gradually perishes away. "