Saturday, 2nd August, 2014
Fajr: 5:50am (ends 7:20am), Dhuhr: 12:27pm
`Asr: 3:12pm, Maghrib: 5:33pm, `Ishaa': 6:59pm

Donate to help a brother get surgery done insha'Allah!

Thread: Our spelling...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Our spelling... 

I would have posted under General Education, however, the descriptor line under the title:

General Education
    Students, Teachers, Parents, High School, University and beyond. Need help? Ask away!

persuaded me to not start a thread there, but here

Now, some of us spell words differently to others, and I don't mind this when the general spelling of the poster is not up to scratch to begin with.

However, when I see my more grammatically aware Brothers and Sisters make these mistakes, it saddens me to say the least. I am not talking about the typos made here and there, I see the Brothers and Sisters commit these heinous atrocities time and time again!

I had been meaning to start this thread up for a while now, but never got around to doing so.

Here are a couple of common mistakes I see that can be fixed up :

---------------------------
    NOTE: Please feel free to add mistakes that should be corrected up here
    My twin boys were severely burnt in a garage fire.
    Make du`aa that the one that survived recovers a complete recovery.

- - -
    "Do not argue with the people of knowledge for you will only cause them to hate you.
    And do not argue with an ignorant person because they may harm you..."

Tirmidhi

2. Collapse Details
    THEN or THAN? 
    THEN as opposed to THAN

THEN equals;

- Subsequently or soon afterward (often used as sentence connectors)
    - In that case or as a consequence
    - At that time
    - That time; that moment
    - At a specific prior time

THAN equals;

- Conjunction used in comparatives, like in "taller than me", "I'd rather do this than that"

I see a lot of people use the word THEN instead of the word THAN. This is a no no!

Meanings of the words courtesy of WordWeb 5 the Free Dictionary and Thesaurus

- - -
    "Do not argue with the people of knowledge for you will only cause them to hate you.

Tirmidhi

3. Collapse Details
    ALOT or A LOT? 
    ALOT as opposed to A LOT:

The next mistake I see is the two words "a lot" that are made to become a quasi-compound word "alot" which is in fact a word unto itself:

ALOT equals:

- Nothing, the correct way to write this would be, ALLOT. The word "allot" however, would now mean:

- Give out
    - Allow to have
    - Administer or bestow, as in small portions

A LOT (with a space inbetween the words) equals:

- To a very great degree or extent, like in "I feel a lot better"

I see people use the letters alot to mean a lot quiet a bit. The correct way of course, is the one with the space in between the two words.

Meanings of the words courtesy of WordWeb 5 the Free Dictionary and Thesaurus

- - -

Tirmidhi

4. Collapse Details

I would have to agree with the first.

5. Collapse Details

Maybe they mean - Alot is a town and a nagar panchayat in Ratlam district in the state of Madhya Pradesh, India.

Or they are influenced by the fact that in its origins in Proto-North Sarawak in which it was written as alud and can't seem to shkae it off.

Or they are aware that language is alive and ever-changing. How long ago was the proper way to write eggs still 'egges'?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mecca Cola View Post
    . . . Or they are aware that language is alive and ever-changing. How long ago was the proper way to write eggs still 'egges'?
    How long ago? I do not know.

All I know is that in our current and up to date dictionaries, there is no such word as alot

When our alive and everchanging language succeeds in admitting the word alot into the dictionaries to mean a lot I would beg we use the accepted norm a lot till then

- - -

Tirmidhi

7. Collapse Details

hmmm neevr tguoht aynnoe wulod tkae nticoe of me slpenlig

8. Collapse Details

You caught my attention Habibi Mecca Cola,

When was the last time we used the word egges as opposed to eggs?

I did a bit of scrounging around on Google and came up with what seemed to me as recipes written in bad English.

Example one Dated 1485 to 1603 (404-522 years ago)

Example two Dated 1596 (Just under half a millennium ago. I can see where you are coming from with this example now, it seems just like yesterday )

Example three Dated 1596 (different link, though I believe it to be of the same source. Again, what is 411 years when you compare it to the life of the aakhira? Right Habibi Mecca Cola? )

The following link is more recent, only 160 years old. Infinitely more closer than the yesterday of 1596. Wouldn't you agree Habibi Mecca Cola?

Example four Dated 1847

So now I wonder, what is the most recent time you know of us using the word egges as opposed to eggs Yaa Akhee? As far as my research took me, the spelling of the word egges was most likely even before your grandfather was born! But, then again... this is only the result of my pitiful examination of the word

Now, coming back to the topic , which other words are there that are spelt wrongly by us AM'ers here that we can improve upon bi'idhni'L-Laah???

- - -

Tirmidhi

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by your sister View Post
    hmmm neevr tguoht aynnoe wulod tkae nticoe of me slpenlig
    No, I ddni't tkae ntcoie of yuor snplelig Yaa Uhtkee

- - -

Tirmidhi

10. Collapse Details
    Z vs S 
    Z as opposed to S:

Here is another problem I see. A lot of people (see how I put the space in between the words? Sorry ), a lot of people spell the American way of spelling when it comes to words with the letter z in it.

Examples of these words:

- Organization
    - Scrutinize

In (ahem...) present day Australia, the correct way of spelling these words would be:

- Organisation
    - Scrutinise

So, please, let us value our Australian way of spelling by spelling correctly.

Go to any Australian governmental website, and you will see that they spell as I have pointed out.

I have noticed that some Australian websites are still influenced by the American way of spelling and use z's in their spelling of such words.

For the people that use Microsoft Word, whose settings are not changed to the Australian dictionary and hence if they type the correct, for example, organise, it will have that red wavy line under it denoting it to be incorrectly spelt! Even Firefox's spell checker, this is set to the American dictionary, and will make that red squiggly line under words that are contrary to the Australian way of spelling. (Speaking of which, it has the red wavy line under the misspelt version of a lot as well! If you have Firefox, try it now in the Quick Reply box below Heheh... D'oh!)

- - -

Tirmidhi

11. Collapse Details

There was another thread similar to this one isa.
    أَوْلَادُكُمْ فِتْنَةٌ
    Qur'an 8:28

"I don't know if i'm getting better or just used to the pain."

12. Collapse Details

can we start another thread for english arabic spelling hehehe.... like where people use 3 for ع and 7 ح, ....i know this is off the topic but i heard a lecture the other day and it was by a lebo brother ....i cracked up when i heard him mixing english with arabic to produce words like "FA-take care brothers and sisters...FA-take care"....then i was like hmm do i do that

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by UnsurAlUmmah View Post
    There was another thread similar to this one isa.
    for making me aware Ukhtee UnsurAlUmmah. Where is this thread? Could you please post up the link and I will ask a moderator to join this thread to that one if it is about the same thing ?

Or if you do not mind, could you save me the trouble and do me the favour of asking a mod to change it instead?

If you do, could you please let me be aware, and everyone else that contributed to this thread that the change has occurred, so we can continue there ?

Again,

- - -

Tirmidhi

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by your sister View Post
    can we start another thread for english arabic spelling hehehe.... like where people use 3 for ع and 7 ح, ....i know this is off the topic but i heard a lecture the other day and it was by a lebo brother ....i cracked up when i heard him mixing english with arabic to produce words like "FA-take care brothers and sisters...FA-take care"....then i was like hmm do i do that
    Who's stopping you Ukhtee? Tafaddalee min fadlika

- - -

Tirmidhi

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Meme View Post
    those recipes r funny.. they have extra 'e's all over the place..
    Huh

- - -

Tirmidhi

16. Collapse Details

Akhee Mecca Cola,

In my sincere pursuit of looking for an answer to your question regarding the use of the word egges, I found a forum that have teachers willing to help find answers regarding the English language called www.usingenglish.com/forum/. I asked the question about when the word egges was last used.

They did not give me a definitive answer yet regarding my query, but still, some interesting information was shared none the less.

Please go here to see my post and the answer provided therein.

Again, for initiating such an interesting subject. Not very useful I must say, but interesting none the less

- - -

Tirmidhi

17. Collapse Details

- - -

Tirmidhi

18. Collapse Details

Rest assured Isa, as someone studying linguistics and especially language change/formation I'm well aware of not only the history of the word 'egges/eggs' but also the topics surrounding language change.

I suggested that there may be a group of ardent anti-académie style posters here as a light-hearted joke.

Nevertheless, those who use alot can only be accused of using phonemic spelling, there are few who would pronounce the term /'eı 'lɒt/ rather you see mostly - /'əlɒt/ or /'əlɒʔ/. From this we even see the word 'alotta' which is a contraction of 'a lot of' which in speech is /'əlɒɾʌ/.
    As Australian English in particular is well known for these phonemic spellings and ortographical speech-based contractions (just think of g'day for an example) most won't even think twice before using 'alot' or 'awhile' and in time I could almost assure you the term alot will appear in the dictionaries as there is nothing about the term which would not allow it to do so.

I do agree with the Word-influenced -ize usage... We are Aussies, and no program will change the way we spell! We write standardise and not standardize, colour and not color, mum and not mom!

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Meme View Post
    A timely reminder.. I cant count the number of times ppl used 'then' rather than 'than' and vice versa.. I never knew ppl got them mixed up untill i joined this forum!
    until*

20. Collapse Details

personally i never get bothered by people's spelling, and i always find it rude to comment on it. if a forum in majority are bothered by it, why not ask admin to install a spell check for members before they hit the submit button?

I believe some people actually dont post because they feel they cannot spell or write well, and i think drawing attention to it, makes them feel even worse and hence dont post.
    "We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans ..." -Bill Clinton (USA TODAY, 11 March 1993, page 2A)

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us"