Friday, 18th April, 2014
Fajr: 5:23am (ends 6:48am), Dhuhr: 12:20pm
`Asr: 3:24pm, Maghrib: 5:50pm, `Ishaa': 7:13pm

Donate to help a brother get surgery done insha'Allah!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What is the best suburb in Melbourne? 
    Assalamalaikum

A friend of mine wants to move to Melbourne from Brisbane and she wants to know what is the best place in Melbourne to live. Is there any place where majority are Muslims yet it is affordable and theres an Islamic school nearby? If so, what are the pros and cons of that area.

I can't help her much as I have only been here since mid last year. I live in the south east (Cranbourne North). It would be much appreciated if anyone with more knowledge can give us some insight on Melbourne suburbs.

Wasalam
    AnD iF AllaH tOuChEs yOu WitH hUrT, tHeRe iS nOnE wHo cAn rEmOvE iT bUt He; aNd iF He iNtEnDs aNy gOoD fOr yOu, tHeRe iS nOnE wHo cAn kEeP bAcK HiS fAvOuR; He bRiNgS iT tO wHoM He pLeAsEs oF HiS sErVaNtS; AnD He iS OfT-FoRgIvInG, MoSt MeRciFuL.
    QuR'aN SuRaH YuNuS; 10:107

2. Collapse Details
    I am also in need what is the best suburb in Melb 
    Assalmu Alikum,

I am also moving to Melbourne from QLD soon. I don't know about anything there. So, would you please when somebodyelse replies your messege to forwarded it for me.

Jazaki allah kul khair.
    P.

3. Collapse Details

assalamu alaikum

Looking at her requirements I would say either the North (Coburg onwards - Fawkner/Glenroy/Broadmeadows/Meadow Heights/etc) as there are a few schools down there and lots of Muslims. The further north you go the cheaper it will generally get. KK/Ilim/DU are down that end.

The other option would be being near Werribee as there is the Islamic school there. I think Altona/etc are near there too.

wassalamu alaikum
    Al-Hasan al-Basri said of hypocrisy: No one fears it but a believer, and no one feels safe from it but a hypocrite.

4. Collapse Details

Fawkner is close to a few Muslim schools and is a very nice suburb mashaallah. (and close to a lot of halal food places, even a halal KFC). Lot's of trees, parks, even a creek. It's a mostly residential area.

Coburg is next to Fawkner and is close to some schools however its a kind of *not nice* suburb. Not to sound snobbish, but Coburg is old and ugly... not many treees, the houses don't look nice, the streets are funny looking, but they do have a nice lake and a creek too. It is mostly residential but theres a lot of factories and stuff there too. But there is a lots of halal food there too.

Then there is Brunswick, which is next to Coburg. It has old houses but the expensive kind, not so much he cheap kind (like Coburg)... its closer to the city which is good but means it is more expensive to buy a house... personally I don't like it, you get a lot of creepy looking people there too. Theres a halal McDonalds here.

Those are the only three suburbs I can really tell you about. Keep in mind that these are my opinions and perceptions of the suburbs, others might not agree with me.
    "Have they not travelled in the land so that they should have hearts with which to understand, or ears with which to hear? For surely it is not the eyes that are blind, but blind are the hearts which are in the breasts."
    [al-Hajj, ayah 46]

5. Collapse Details

Coburg and Brunswick are both on the expensive side.

If you move a little further north, don't try and touch Pascoe Vale coz that's rather expensive too, but such a beautiful and peaceful suburb You can go towards Fawkner, Hadfield, Glenroy. These areas are nice too, and relatively cheaper then the Coburg/Brunswick area. Beware though, there's both the ugly and the nice side of these suburbs, so I suggest you keep your eyes open. These areas are all pretty much next door to each other, so you're close to everything. You're close to Islamic schools, halal food and butchers and there's Muslims everywhere Alhumdulillaah.

After Fawkner, you've got Campbellfield which I don't know much about. I know that there's a few Muslims in the area, and it's not far off from the other suburbs I mentioned, but not sure about the safety of the area. I'll leave that to those that know more about it
    What is for you will not pass you and what passes you is not for you!

لا تضيع الامانة
    Do not lose the trust..

6. Collapse Details

Although Footscray is by far the best suburb in Melbourne, I'd not recommend it to any outsiders. You have to be born and raised here to be able to handle it.
    The distinct smell of Chinese food being cooked, mixed in with the Indian spices and Turkish kebabs.. The smoke filled pool halls inhabited at all hours of the day by Vietnamese hustlers imitating the Hong Kong Triads. The sense of insecurity felt by most whenever approaching Footscray station.. Being able to see all the nations of the world represented in one small suburb.
    How could you not love Footscray?
    Il futuro appartiene all'Islam

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cheesegirl View Post
    Coburg is next to Fawkner and is close to some schools however its a kind of *not nice* suburb. Not to sound snobbish, but Coburg is old and ugly... not many treees, the houses don't look nice, the streets are funny looking, but they do have a nice lake and a creek too. It is mostly residential but theres a lot of factories and stuff there too. But there is a lots of halal food there too.

Then there is Brunswick, which is next to Coburg. It has old houses but the expensive kind, not so much he cheap kind (like Coburg)... its closer to the city which is good but means it is more expensive to buy a house... personally I don't like it, you get a lot of creepy looking people there too. Theres a halal McDonalds here.

Those are the only three suburbs I can really tell you about. Keep in mind that these are my opinions and perceptions of the suburbs, others might not agree with me.
    Wow, is all I can say.

It's all very subjective as the sister said, so I will beg to strongly disagree! Given the choice I would MUCH RATHER live in Coburg or Brunswick than Fawkner for a myriad of reasons.

Firstly Coburg is older *but* that's part of its charm!!! The houses are older yes, but they still have their period charm which eludes many of the houses in Fawkner. Though if you dig the brick veneered look...

Look at that street "The Grove" as one example. Why do so many people want to live in that street? Why are house prices there close to, if not over a million dollars? Because it's full of gorgeous houses and is tree-lined. It is such a pretty and QUIET street and if I weren't living in the suburb I live in, I would not mind living in this street.

But it's not the only tree-lined street in the suburb; of course you also have Coburg Lake which is another drawcard, not to mention a pretty respite and delight for we city-slickers. Muslims also like to congregate there en masse for any reason whenever the sun tends to shine too.

Coburg is also much closer to Sydney Road and 2 Masjids [Coburg and Preston Mosques] and an Islamic school.

Fawkner is close to the cemetery. So unless you're an avid visitor to the cemetey -- and I for one don't see that many Muslims there, unless there's a Jenaza going on -- I wouldn't be in such a rush to live close to a burial ground.

Fawkner is great if you have a car.

If you *don't* have a car however, you will be forced to travel on one of those oh-so-wonderfully efficient Connex trains. Enough said for anyone who has to use this miserable, so-called, transport system.

But...if you love waiting on crowded platforms, only to find out your train has been delayed *again*, then you're forced to be sardined on the next Upfield train...Fawkner's your kind of place.

Fawkner also does not possess any trendy cafes or restaurants or delightful bookstores and I'm sorry cheesegirl, but I don't consider KFC to be an established eatery where I'd take my friends.

That's about it for now; I could go on forever but as you can see, I'm a tad biased
    "Ask questions from the learned, speak with the wise, and associate with the poor."

8. Collapse Details

What if you're happy going to KFC?

9. Collapse Details

Lena did I give you permission to speak?
    "Ask questions from the learned, speak with the wise, and associate with the poor."

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Musa View Post
    Although Footscray is by far the best suburb in Melbourne, I'd not recommend it to any outsiders. You have to be born and raised here to be able to handle it.
    The distinct smell of Chinese food being cooked, mixed in with the Indian spices and Turkish kebabs.. The smoke filled pool halls inhabited at all hours of the day by Vietnamese hustlers imitating the Hong Kong Triads. The sense of insecurity felt by most whenever approaching Footscray station.. Being able to see all the nations of the world represented in one small suburb.
    lol *adds to it* the dodgy guy walking past whispers under his breath "you wana score"
    I have never debated with a knowledgeable person but beaten him, and I have never debated with an ignorant person but been beaten by him.
    - Imam al-Shafi`i (May Allah have mercy on him)

11. Collapse Details

Before you hijack the thread missy, Meadow Heights (my area) is a mickey place to live Alhumdulilah. There's a masjid close by, as well as an Islamic Centre. There seems to be HEAPS of childcare centres around, and there's one specifically for muslims. You don't feel out of place, because every second house is a Muslim home Alhumdulilah.

May Allah make her choice easier on her.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Lena View Post
    Before you hijack the thread missy, Meadow Heights (my area) is a mickey place to live Alhumdulilah. There's a masjid close by, as well as an Islamic Centre. There seems to be HEAPS of childcare centres around, and there's one specifically for muslims. You don't feel out of place, because every second house is a Muslim home Alhumdulilah.
    Micky? Micky mouse lives up in Meadow Heights? Or is there just a lot of mice around there?

Add to that, it's in the bush

Micky Mouse + George Bush (+Lena) = no go zone!

What is for you will not pass you and what passes you is not for you!

لا تضيع الامانة
    Do not lose the trust..

13. Collapse Details

I think Taliban Princess perfectly illustrated just how subjective this gets.

She hit it hard though about the public transport thing. Coburg and Brunkwick have trams, Fawkner does not. But Fawkner does have buses which take you right to the trams but to be honest, buses suck...

So if you really need public transport, buy a house next to sydney rd so you can walk to the train or take the Sydney rd bus (which is really good, except that it only comes every hour!), otherwise Fawkner won't be the most ideal place.

Firstly Coburg is older *but* that's part of its charm!!! The houses are older yes, but they still have their period charm which eludes many of the houses in Fawkner. Though if you dig the brick veneered look...
    Brunswick houses are old with charm... Coburg houses are old with no charm... but hey, that's my taste.

Coburg Lake is certainly a big plus though. I love that place! Haven't been there in ages.

Fawkner doesn't have cafes or restaurants and I'm sorry cheesegirl, but I don't consider KFC to be an established eatery where I'd take my friends.
    True, I hate KFC! But still, you can drive to any restaurant you feel like so it's like being Fawkner makes a person totally cut off.

I guess it comes down to what life style the person wants to lead.
    "Have they not travelled in the land so that they should have hearts with which to understand, or ears with which to hear? For surely it is not the eyes that are blind, but blind are the hearts which are in the breasts."
    [al-Hajj, ayah 46]

14. Collapse Details

If I didn't have the displeasure, oops, I mean pleasure of knowing Musa and I knew he wasn't practicing, I'd say he's just another drug-dealer looking to sell his suburb [which smells] in order to entice more mules.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Lena View Post

May Allah make her choice easier on her.
    loving living in meadow heights, everything halal is here
    I have never debated with a knowledgeable person but beaten him, and I have never debated with an ignorant person but been beaten by him.
    - Imam al-Shafi`i (May Allah have mercy on him)

16. Collapse Details

easily...

especially when you get druggies knocking at your doorstep early in the morning trying desperately to get inside your house, and then suddenly propositioning their "chastity" in exchange for "getting to their daughter (located in woop woop) who has just had an accident"...

In terms of living, the Doncaster/Templestowe area is the best... no doubt about it... Plus there's Doncaster Mosque (Ummah Center) there... the only thing is that there's no halal butchers/food in that area...

17. Collapse Details

I'll agree with @sim here. Not that I'm into the suburbs but having visited the eastern suburbs, I will concede these two are very nice. Houses are nice, streets seem kinda peaceful, big front and back yards, and yep you're right next to the Pakistani Mosque, oops, I mean the Ummah Centre.

Only problem is the lack of public transport and Halal butchers as mentioned. As far as I know the closest Halal butcher would be in Dandenong?

18. Collapse Details

Salaam I think Fawkner, Brunswick and Glenroy are the best areas

AH
    ALLAH HAFIZ

19. Collapse Details

JazakallahKHair for all the replies.

Does anyone live in the southeast, like dandenong, springvale, noble park and areas surronding. Does anyones kids go to Minaret college?

What do u guys think of these areas?
    AnD iF AllaH tOuChEs yOu WitH hUrT, tHeRe iS nOnE wHo cAn rEmOvE iT bUt He; aNd iF He iNtEnDs aNy gOoD fOr yOu, tHeRe iS nOnE wHo cAn kEeP bAcK HiS fAvOuR; He bRiNgS iT tO wHoM He pLeAsEs oF HiS sErVaNtS; AnD He iS OfT-FoRgIvInG, MoSt MeRciFuL.
    QuR'aN SuRaH YuNuS; 10:107

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Safia View Post
    Does anyone live in the southeast, like dandenong, springvale, noble park and areas surronding. Does anyones kids go to Minaret college?

What do u guys think of these areas?
    I used to lived in the southeast before I got married. My dad still lives there, in Narre Warren, 5 minutes to Dandenong. There are many muslims if you really search. I do know a lot of malay/singaporeans, but that's because of family friends etc. As for halal places/butcher, yes Dandenong has quite a few places. A few afghan restaurants that I would recommend.

Dandenong and especially Noble park are dirty areas filled with junkies. I wouldn't recommend living there. I heard that Dandy station is a trouble maker station. To top it off, these suburbs aren't that pretty!

In regards to Minaret, my dad used to teach there. urm, I'd rather not say anything, but I believe there are better Islamic Schools in the Northern suburbs

I always thought living in the south eastern suburbs were the best until I was introduced to Fawkner. Now when I look back, I really can't believe how I survived living so far away from lots and lots of halal places/buther. Now I am only 20 minutes to the city as opposed to 45 minutes!

Fawkner is one of the best suburbs (if you have a car)! Alhamdulillah