Donate to help a brother get surgery done insha'Allah!

1. Collapse Details
    Feeding non-Muslims in Ramadan? 

Does anyone know if it haram to directly feed non-Muslims in Ramadan? As in, actually serve them food meant to be consumed on the spot during the day when they should be fasting? If you have any information about it that would be great!

I need to know ASAP if possible!

The reason I feel unsure about this is because I'm sure I heard before that we can't do this, though I'm not 100% and my understanding is that even though they are non-Muslims they will still be punished for every Islamic rule they broke in the next life, including breaking their fast. Which means by feeding them we are encouraging them to do something they will be punished for, and seems to be contradictory to the command of Allah for us to command good and forbid evil.
    "Have they not travelled in the land so that they should have hearts with which to understand, or ears with which to hear? For surely it is not the eyes that are blind, but blind are the hearts which are in the breasts."
    [al-Hajj, ayah 46]

2. Collapse Details

Islam is Truly Majestic
    Assalaamu 'alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh,

Is it for da'wah purposes? Are the people poor and needy? Or are they attending a Masjid or someone similar for a break-fast?

There are some reports that I have heard which mention not to give food to ingrates, however that said, remember the story of Ibrahim 'alaihis Salam who didn't want to feed the non-believer, and he (the Prophet of God) received admonition from Allah subhaanahu wa ta'ala for not feeding this particular human - so he runs after the man and tells him that his Lord has admonished him for not sharing his meal with him, upon hearing this the man embraces the true faith.

You could search for a particular fatwa if you wish, however from what I know nothing prevents us from being kind to others and feeding them (such as our neighbours etc - who may not even be Muslim). Obviously it's better to feed a believer because they will thank Allah subhaanahu wa ta'ala for the Blessings given to them, and will perhaps make supplication for you to Allah subhaanahu wa ta'ala. Allahu 'alam.

We used to have a fast a thon at RMIT Bundoora and had quite a number of non-Muslims fast along with the Muslims and break-fast together also - this is all da'wah, as well as showing to others our humanity.

InshaAllah you'll get your answer soon.

Fi Amanillah

Abu Khadijah
    Bilaal ibn Sa'd said, "Don't look at the meagerness of your sin, look at who it was that you disobeyed."

3. Collapse Details

Brother I'm sorry - may Allah forgive me - I didn't clarify. I meant feeding them during the day while we are fasting, not in the night!

Of course I wouldn't have an issue with feeding non-Muslims during the times when eating is halal!
    "Have they not travelled in the land so that they should have hearts with which to understand, or ears with which to hear? For surely it is not the eyes that are blind, but blind are the hearts which are in the breasts."
    [al-Hajj, ayah 46]

4. Collapse Details

Islam is Truly Majestic

So someting like a Muslim is fasting and at the same time works at subway - can they feed a non-Muslim - is that the jist of the question? Or is it that one is fasting and somehow they are going to feed another human - who happens to be non-Muslim?

If you can clarify, we can try and find an answer inshaAllah from our shuyukh or books of fiqh uhti.

Fi Amanillah

Abu Khadijah
    Bilaal ibn Sa'd said, "Don't look at the meagerness of your sin, look at who it was that you disobeyed."

5. Collapse Details

Basically at my university we have an event coming up called Feast of Nations where people from different ethnic backgrounds sell food and can raise funds for their clubs/society. It's like a fun event kind of thing that celebrates diversity. The problem is that it is held in Ramadan and I'm not sure if our university society should participate and sell food to the non-Muslims because they are meant to be fasting...

There is absolutely no compulsion or anything for us to be involved. It's usually a good source of revenue for the club - but of course, if it is haram, I don't want a cent of that money.
    [al-Hajj, ayah 46]

6. Collapse Details

Islam is Truly Majestic

I'm still looking for an answer ukhti, so don't take my posts as anything but that, however in Ramadan, there will be many Muslims who own shops and restaurants all over the world, and who will be operating and selling and serving all types of people. Is what they are doing forbidden? I'm not saying yes or no, however if that was impermissible, then most of us would have known by now as Muslims own quite a lot of food outlets and just because it's Ramadan, the operations don't usually shut down - unless if they are really trying to benefit as much as they can from this Blessed Month - by doing 'itikahf etc.

Just a thought to consider before we get an actual answer.

and Allah Alone Knows Best

Fi Amanillah

Abu Khadijah

7. Collapse Details

Allahu a'lam but I think there is a difference between loosing ones income for a whole month and therefore being giving a concession and participating in this voluntary event.

Jazakumallahu khayr for your help.
    [al-Hajj, ayah 46]

8. Collapse Details

Islam is Truly Majestic

Wa Iyyakum,

It looks like an intricate case ukhti, best to get a specific answer from a mufti on this one.

InshaAllah you'll get the answer soon.

You could possibly do da'wah in the process of selling also if that's an option other than just selling food? (And not just material da'wah but interpersonal da'wah).

Fi Amanillah

Abu Khadijah

9. Collapse Details

We could do that but there are other halal ways to do that, if you know what I mean. We don't need to be feeding people to give dawah and we have Islamic AWareness Week coming up. It's a bit odd to think that you'd be giving people dawah will encouraging them to sin.

It's odd to think that at your uni you encouraged people to fast with you while at my uni we might be encouraging people to eat!! I'd hate to think that in our ignorance we will be doing something haram thinking that we are doing good.
    [al-Hajj, ayah 46]

10. Collapse Details

Islam is Truly Majestic

I understand where you're coming from ukhti, jazakAllahu khayr for pointing the 'oddity'. However there are many ways of doing da'wah.

In Darul Islam, during Ramadhan, what was the status of the dhimmis in terms of fasting. Did they have to fast? This would be a good research to undertake. What about in Darul Sulh, like here in Australia, does the fiqh change? I know that recently another issue was pointed out about prayers and non-Muslims. However from a fiqhi point of view, does a non-Muslim 'have' to fast. From a spiritual point of view - will they be sinning for eating during Ramadan? These are all considerations, however is the actual fast 'obligatory' upon one who does not believe in Allah subhaanahu wa ta'ala - if not, then this comes to your question, will my 'feeding' them constitute 'haram' - as this is a 'voluntary' act. Again it's not a simple answer from any one site, but it looks like you may need to get this answered by a Mufti, because they will take in all these factors and much much more and give you an answer inshaAllah.

The fast a thon that we did, also came in the Islam Awreness Week time period, and food was brought on another day where non-Muslims also ate from while lectures on Islam were given - that could be an option.

May Allah subhaanahu wa ta'ala help you and guide you to find the answer - and please let us know the answer that you receive from the shuyukh also.

Fi Amanillah

your brother in Deen

Abu Khadijah

11. Collapse Details

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/78494

Maybe the contents of this answer can clarify a few issues for you insha-Allah.

Personally i would not take part.

12. Collapse Details

^Thanks sis!!! That was really helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic_Islam View Post
    In Darul Islam, during Ramadhan, what was the status of the dhimmis in terms of fasting. Did they have to fast? This would be a good research to undertake. What about in Darul Sulh, like here in Australia, does the fiqh change? I know that recently another issue was pointed out about prayers and non-Muslims. However from a fiqhi point of view, does a non-Muslim 'have' to fast. From a spiritual point of view - will they be sinning for eating during Ramadan? These are all considerations, however is the actual fast 'obligatory' upon one who does not believe in Allah subhaanahu wa ta'ala - if not, then this comes to your question, will my 'feeding' them constitute 'haram' - as this is a 'voluntary' act. Again it's not a simple answer from any one site, but it looks like you may need to get this answered by a Mufti, because they will take in all these factors and much much more and give you an answer inshaAllah.
    My understanding is that they can choose not to do these things, but they will still be punished for not doing it in the next life.

Here is some information about it from the link provided above:

Shaykh Muhammad al-Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked:

How will the kaafir be brought to account on the Day of Resurrection when he is not required to follow the obligations of Islam?

He replied:

This question is based on a misconception. The same is required of the kaafir as is required of the believer, but he is not to be compelled to follow it in this world. The fact that it is required of him is indicated by the passage in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Except those on the Right (i.e. the pious true believers of Islamic Monotheism).

40. In Gardens (Paradise) they will ask one another,

41. About Al‑Mujrimoon (polytheists, criminals, disbelievers) (and they will say to them):

42. ‘What has caused you to enter Hell?’

43. They will say: ‘We were not of those who used to offer the Salaah (prayers),

44. ‘Nor we used to feed Al‑Miskeen (the poor);

45. ‘And we used to talk falsehood (all that which Allaah hated) with vain talkers.

46. ‘And we used to belie the Day of Recompense”

[al-Muddaththir 74:39-46]

If they were not being punished for not praying and not feeding the poor, they would not have mentioned that, because there would be no point in mentioning it in this situation. This indicates that they are being punished for not doing the minor issues enjoined by Islam. As this is implied by the texts, it is also implied by reasoning. If Allaah will punish His believing slave for what he failed to do of religious duties, how can He not punish the kaafir? Moreover, the kaafir will be punished for all the blessings that Allaah bestowed upon him of food and drink etc. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Those who believe and do righteous good deeds, there is no sin on them for what they ate (in the past), if they fear Allaah (by keeping away from His forbidden things), and believe and do righteous good deeds, and again fear Allaah and believe, and once again fear Allaah and do good deeds with Ihsaan (perfection). And Allaah loves the good‑doers”

[al-Maa’idah 5:93]

The apparent meaning of the verse is that there is no sin on the believers for what they have eaten. What this implies is that there is sin on the kuffaar for what they have eaten. End quote.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/78494
    [al-Hajj, ayah 46]

13. Collapse Details

Islam is Truly Majestic

I haven't looked at the fiqh section in Sheikh Wahbi Zuhayli's Fiqhul Islami - which has the views of the 4 madhaahibs on matters relating to fiqh, however just searching the Turkish fatwa sites (taken from Islamic Jurisprudence Encyclopedia), I've come across the same thing:

RAMAZAN-I ŞERİFTE LOKANTA VE MEŞRUBAT YERLERİNİ AÇIP ÇALIŞTIRMAK CAİZ MİDİR?

Ramazan-ı Şerif müslümanların en mukaddes ayıdır. Bu ay her mü'minin hürmet etmesi icab eden bir aydır. Hatta bir kimse yolculuk veya kadın aybaşı gibi bir halde olursa halkın gözü önünde yemek yememesi icab eder. Ramazan-ı Şerifte lokanta açıldığı takdirde yolcu aybaşı ve lohusa halinde olan kimseler yiyebilecekleri gibi mazereti olmayan kimselere yemek yedirmek suretiyle lokanta sahibi ile orada çalışan işçiler günaha girmiş olurlar. Ancak çocuklara yemek satmak veya iftar yemeğini hazırlamak için lokanta açıp çalıştırmanın bir mahzuru yoktur.

Basically the last part adds that a restaurant can be open, if it's used to prepare food for iftar's and if it's selling to children also.

But again most of these fatwas are for Muslims living in Muslim lands - are the scholars in agreement on this issue when it involves being in Non-Muslim lands, or Darul Sulh (lands where there's truce)?

Fi Amanillah

Abu Khadijah

14. Collapse Details

I don't know - but this fatwa did say it is haram to feed non-Muslims in non-Muslim lands during the time of fasting. I don't know if this is a minority or majority opinion though, or if there is agreement.
    [al-Hajj, ayah 46]

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cheesegirl View Post

I don't know - but this fatwa did say it is haram to feed non-Muslims in non-Muslim lands during the time of fasting. I don't know if this is a minority or majority opinion though, or if there is agreement.
    I would agree with it, based on his saying:
    وَتَعَاوَنُوا عَلَى الْبِرِّ وَالتَّقْوَى وَلَا تَعَاوَنُوا عَلَى الْإِثْمِ وَالْعُدْوَانِ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ شَدِيدُ الْعِقَابِ ) المائدة

16. Collapse Details

I spoke to a shaykh today and he discussed that there is a difference of opinion on this topic that goes back to whether or not scholars believe that non-Muslims will also be punished for the details of the requirements of Islam (like prayer, fasting etc). Those who say yes would say that you can't give food to non-Muslims in Ramadan during the day and those who say no say you can.

Jazakumallahu khayr for everyones help!
    [al-Hajj, ayah 46]