Wednesday, 22nd October, 2014
Fajr: 4:51am (ends 6:26am), Dhuhr: 1:05pm
`Asr: 4:48pm, Maghrib: 7:44pm, `Ishaa': 9:13pm

Donate to help a brother get surgery done insha'Allah!

1. Collapse Details
    Meaning of Arabic name "May" 
    Assalamualaikum,

Just wondering if anyone knows the meaning of the Arabic name "May". It exists in Arabic names sites but simply says "old Arabic name" without providing its meaning.

Thanks in advance.

Salaams

2. Collapse Details

All I can add is that the name is Mayy (not May) - ميّ

3. Collapse Details

Doesn't "may" mean water?
    The one who is (truly) imprisoned is the one whose heart is imprisoned from Allah and the captivated one is the one whose desires have enslaved him. Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullah)

Towards Hope Foundation

4. Collapse Details

May Allah Forgive Him
    the name is Mayy as brother Musa said and it's written in Arabic

ميّ or ميّة

the name is Mayy and it's derived from the name Mayya. it is a name of a woman (i don't know who exactly). and some said it's the name given for the Monkey's female. and some said it mean the owned maid, but the most common is that it's the monkey's female. some also said it's one of the Kahmr (Alcohol) names. and some said it refers to Maa' Al Ward (flower's water) and some said it comes from the word Maa' (water) - as a smoother version of it.

it was mentioned in Arabic poetry many times, refering to women or a beatiful woman. and the most famous by this name is Mayy Bint Talabah who was considered the most beautiful woman at her time. and May Bint Sahleel Al Jahrami, a woman at the time of Jahillya, who was a a respectful and good woman.

Wallahu A'laam the closest and most accurate meaning is, and that's what i found most common, that it's a one of the names of the Monkey's female.

but in general you won't find a specific and accurate meaning.

hope that helped.

5. Collapse Details

If May means water, is it a proper name in Arabic? Also, is this pronounced "my" or "maay"?

6. Collapse Details

Raтє∂ |R|: Rєvųℓuтiųиaяy Palo $oldier's Avatar
    lol "may" (مَي) is water in slang,
    in pura arabic (fus7a) the word for water is, "ماء", "maa2"

7. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=Palo $oldier;283862]lol "may" (مَي) is water in slang QUOTE]

I can agree with that

Dont look at me in regards to fusha....I have no idea hehe

One of my Friends names is May in Arabic but she has changed it to Maya..I shall ask her 2morro maybe she might be able to shed some light

8. Collapse Details

this is a serious question and I am giving a serious answer so hopefully no one laughs because there is many sister's named May مى

there are few meanings to the name May ( مى ) depending on the way the name is pronounced.....

there is an ugly meaning and a beautiful meaning....

مى means Khamr (alcohol) and it also means the female monkey.... it also means a young female slave...

مى means running water.....it is also said that it means the most beautiful women of her time.

the name sounds beautiful even thought it means all of the above....

Prophet asked we name our children beautiful names, so if one of the meanings is a type of alcohol or a small monkey, I'd stay away from it, having said that a lot of people named their daughters مى not knowing the meaning behind it but merely because it sounds nice.

hope that helps

!وا اسلاماه

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Abu.Kauthar View Post
    the name is Mayy as brother Musa said and it's written in Arabic

ميّ or ميّة

the name is Mayy and it's derived from the name Mayya. it is a name of a woman (i don't know who exactly). and some said it's the name given for the Monkey's female. and some said it mean the owned maid, but the most common is that it's the monkey's female. some also said it's one of the Kahmr (Alcohol) names. and some said it refers to Maa' Al Ward (flower's water) and some said it comes from the word Maa' (water) - as a smoother version of it.

it was mentioned in Arabic poetry many times, refering to women or a beatiful woman. and the most famous by this name is Mayy Bint Talabah who was considered the most beautiful woman at her time. and May Bint Sahleel Al Jahrami, a woman at the time of Jahillya, who was a a respectful and good woman.

Wallahu A'laam the closest and most accurate meaning is, and that's what i found most common, that it's a one of the names of the Monkey's female.

but in general you won't find a specific and accurate meaning.

hope that helped.
    oh masha'Allah didn't read your reply but spot on
    !وا اسلاماه

10. Collapse Details

May Allah Forgive Him
    If May means water, is it a proper name in Arabic? Also, is this pronounced "my" or "maay"?
    regardless of its meaning..... yes it is a proper name in Arabic and i gave an example of arabic women named by that name, and they are from the time of Jahiliyya, which means they are the most fluent and accurate in Arabic language.

as for May......
    May is water in " slang " you can say. but in proper Arabic it's Maa'.
    also Mayy is used in some arabic accents to describe water.

to make it easier for you.....

My is usually used as water by the people of the gulf.

Maay also used by the people of the gulf as water, and Iraqis.

Mayy used by the people of Sham, some people from Palestine, Syria and Lebanon.

Mayya by the people of Jordan, Palestine and Egypt.

Mooyaa mainly by the people of Sudan and a great porton of people in Saudi Arabia.

remember that this is the meaning of the word in dialects and not the actual language.

the meaning of it in the actual language, is what i gave you and what sister Hajar gave you.

as in regards to using the name......
    as i said, many women in the past and present have done so so i don't think it's really an issue, add to that, it's beautiful mashaa'Allah. but i think the only reason i wouldn't use it is because i wouldn't be able to explain its proper meaning because there is no specific one.

i'd suggest if you use something similar....
    you go Mayysaa', or Mayyada.

but i think Mayysaa' is closer to it.