Wednesday, 1st October, 2014
Fajr: 4:29am (ends 5:58am), Dhuhr: 12:11pm
`Asr: 3:42pm, Maghrib: 6:24pm, `Ishaa': 7:48pm

Donate to help a brother get surgery done insha'Allah!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Burqini Muslimah Banned From Public Pool 
    Banned
    A Paris swimming pool has refused entry to a young Muslim woman wearing a burqini, a swimsuit that covers most of the body.

The pool ban came as French lawmakers conduct hearings on whether to ban the burqa after President Nicolas Sarkozy said the head-to-toe veil was "not welcome" in secular France.

Officials in the Paris suburb of Emerainville said they let the woman swim in the pool in July wearing the burqini, designed for Muslim women who want to swim without revealing their bodies.

But when she returned in August they decided to apply hygiene rules and told her she could not swim if she insisted on wearing the garment, which resembles a wetsuit with built-in hood.

Pool staff "reminded her of the rules that apply in all (public) swimming pools which forbid swimming while clothed", said Daniel Guillaume, an official with the organisation that manages pools in the area.

Le Parisien newspaper said the woman, identified only by her first name Carole, was a French convert to Islam and that she was determined to go to the courts to challenge the decision.

"Quite simply, this is segregation," the paper quoted her as saying. "I will fight to try to change things. And if I see that the battle is lost, I cannot rule out leaving France."

Local mayor Alain Kelyor said "all this has nothing to do with Islam", adding that the burqini was "not an Islamic swimsuit, that type of suit does not exist in the Koran", the Muslim holy book.

France, home to Europe's biggest Muslim minority, has set up a special panel of 32 lawmakers to consider whether a law should be enacted to bar Muslim women from wearing the full veil, known as a burqa or niqab.

The country has had a long-running debate on how far it is willing to go to accommodate Islam without undermining the tradition of separating church and state, enshrined in a flagship 1905 law.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin

Aussie burqini sparks religious storm in France

The Islamic beachwear known as the burqini - the head-to-toe swimsuit designed by a Lebanese Australian and seen commonly in swimming pools and beaches in Sydney and Melbourne - has caused a stir in Europe and has been banned in French pools.

A 35-year-old woman known to French newspapers only as "Carole" was ordered to leave a public pool on the outskirts of Paris, ostensibly because her swimsuit constituted a "hygiene problem".

But her removal from the swimming complex has been interpreted as the latest chapter in the fight between the French Government and fundamentalist Muslims as the debate on women's clothing and head coverings continues to rage in France.

The woman has now accused the pool of discrimination, describing her ban from the pool as "segregation".

"I must fight to try to change things ... if the battle is lost, I cannot rule out leaving France," she said.

However, the complaint has been interpreted as a political statement and officials argue that the chief lifeguard who made the decision was simply abiding by rules that state that all women must wear swimsuits and men must wear small trunks, not shorts, because larger items of clothing are believed to carry higher levels of bacteria.

Carole is reported to have been born to a traditional French family but converted to Islam at the age of 17. She apparently bought her burqini in Dubai. The swimwear, designed by Aheda Zanetti, a Lebanese-Australian woman who remembers battling being a sporty young woman stymied by restrictive clothing, has become a huge hit in Gulf states and is common in Australia.

It allows the face to remain uncovered but its top part is a mixture of hijab and balaclava and the body is like a free-flowing coat cum tunic or tracksuit.

However, its appearance in both Europe and North America has sparked heated debate.

Carole told Le Parisien newspaper that she believed the swimwear would allow her to enjoy the outdoors and the water without baring her body, as Islam asks.

"I can see that that it could be a shock but I am irritated because I have been told that it is a political issue. I did not set out to make a stand. All I wanted was to go swimming with my children in a swimming pool."

Carole also said her outfit could be compared to the high-tech neck-to-ankle suits used by elite swimmers.

She said the only difference was that theirs allowed the swimmers to go faster than hers.

However, Paris pool officials were reported to have said that the sporting suits were also not allowed at public baths.

French authorities stressed politics were not involved.

"The lady was almost fully dressed," a spokesman for the pool said.

"The personnel simply applied the rules that all pools in France ask: wear a bathing suit and take a shower before entering the water."

France sparked acrid debate in 2004 when it introduced legislation banning the hijab headscarf and all other religious dress from state primary and secondary schools.

However, the public has strongly backed the move and it was not strongly opposed by France's5 -million strong Muslim population
    http://www.smh.com.au/world/aussie-b...0813-eim9.html

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by saif View Post
    Local mayor Alain Kelyor said "all this has nothing to do with Islam", adding that the burqini was "not an Islamic swimsuit, that type of suit does not exist in the Koran", the Muslim holy book.
    True, it's for her own good. Insha-Allah she loses her case and is guided along a better path.
    أَوْلَادُكُمْ فِتْنَةٌ
    Qur'an 8:28

"I don't know if i'm getting better or just used to the pain."

3. Collapse Details

whats a burqini?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Naj View Post
    whats a burqini?
    A so called "islamic" swimsuit.
    أَوْلَادُكُمْ فِتْنَةٌ

5. Collapse Details

Banned
    The burqini is disgusting - however the action of the French highlights their animosity towards muslims.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by UnsurAlUmmah View Post
    A so called "islamic" swimsuit.
    ohh I thought it might be that. I dont like it either and I wouldn't wear it. I mean women do need to wear something that is comfortable and that is islamic to wear when swimming but could we wear?

7. Collapse Details

the islamic ruling of the 'burqini' is irrelevant. this is just another example of the french war on islam

8. Collapse Details

Banned
    I dont even think that a man should wear something that revealing

When I go swimming, I wear very loose knee-length shorts and a loose shirt - which covers the body better then what those women wear when they have a burqini on.

9. Collapse Details

True, it's for her own good. Insha-Allah she loses her case and is guided along a better path.
    thats a bit unfair don't you think?

the quran doesnt say anything about swimming but we know that swimming is good for the health, and so what if she wore a crazy wetsuit?

or is the issue that she wore it and went to a non segregated pool?

and the mayor is a fool for saying such a wetsuit doesnt exist in the qur'an. neither to fluro pink staplers. or crazy doof doof kenwood speakers. so what?

10. Collapse Details

ya thats smart, do the sunnah and learn to swim while committing haraam of not covering your awrah in public...

11. Collapse Details

can she wear it in a segregated pool?

12. Collapse Details

anyways the fact is they will make any excuse to rid symbols of Islam from the public in an effort to erode the islamic identity from the hearts and minds of muslims

13. Collapse Details

yeah what is the problem...seriously Ian Thorpe wears the full suit!!

14. Collapse Details

Yes i know the issue here is France targeting Muslims and not whether the suit is Islamic. Still, the guy had a point that the suit is not Islamic and i know there are many other things which are not mentioned in the Quran, be they Islamically related or otherwise.

I just think sometimes Muslims complain and nag for rights they shouldn't really care for, especially if the "right" they are trying to acquire is unIslamic to begin with.
    أَوْلَادُكُمْ فِتْنَةٌ

15. Collapse Details

I think burqinis are better than trying to swim in an abayah or something. When you try to swim in loose clothes they drag you down and then stick to your body really badly when you come out of the water. Whereas the material of the burqini doesn't stick and you can buy the "modest fit" which is quite loose actually with a skirt that almost reaches your knees.
    The one who is (truly) imprisoned is the one whose heart is imprisoned from Allah and the captivated one is the one whose desires have enslaved him. Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullah)

Towards Hope Foundation

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Precious_Diamond View Post
    I think burqinis are better than trying to swim in an abayah or something. When you try to swim in loose clothes drag you down and then stick to your body really badly when you come out of the water. Whereas the material of the burqini doesn't stick and you can buy the "modest fit" which is quite loose actually with a skirt that almost reaches your knees.
    ..and you think this "modest fit" should be worn in public or infront of women only?
    أَوْلَادُكُمْ فِتْنَةٌ

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by مروة View Post
    So france will not allow their swimmers to wear the 'super' swim-suits?

I think this whole thing is ridiculous and clearly targeting muslims (and other relgions as well?)..

The so called burqini is the same as a wet suit (some designs have skirts attahced) with a hood.. People generally cover their heads in the pool anyway.. So what is the problem?

why call it a "muslim" swimsuit anyway? just call it a modified full length race swimsuit. take the word "muslim" out and they have no case.

if they whinge just point out that it's a modfied version of the fastskin fs from speedo. made for comfort rather then speed

http://www.swim-shop.com/images//sp_...190138_041.jpg

18. Collapse Details

..and you think this "modest fit" should be worn in public or infront of women only?
    In public, at the beach etc. Swimming pools are grubby anyway, but I dont see anything wrong if you wanted to swim at the beach and wore a modest fit burqini in the water.
    The one who is (truly) imprisoned is the one whose heart is imprisoned from Allah and the captivated one is the one whose desires have enslaved him. Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullah)

Towards Hope Foundation

19. Collapse Details

ummAadamJullanarLayth littleMother's Avatar
    perspective - yes, women can wear it in women only pools, its perfect for that actually, coz alot of women tend to wear less than that at women only pools, which isnt allowed in Islam.

When I first saw the Burqini, I straight away assumed that sisters would only wear it in front of other women (me being a naive new Muslim).

"Say what you wish in abuse of me, for my silence towards an idiot is indeed an answer. I am not at a loss for a response but rather, It does not befit the lion to answer dogs." -

Imam Shafi (rahimaullah)

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Precious_Diamond View Post
    In public, at the beach etc. Swimming pools are grubby anyway, but I dont see anything wrong if you wanted to swim at the beach and wore a modest fit burqini in the water.
    Disagree. You said yourself that loose clothing sticks to your body when it's wet, so i don't see why it should be any different when wearing a burqini. The body will still be exposed.
    أَوْلَادُكُمْ فِتْنَةٌ