Thursday, 23rd October, 2014
Fajr: 4:50am (ends 6:24am), Dhuhr: 1:05pm
`Asr: 4:49pm, Maghrib: 7:45pm, `Ishaa': 9:15pm

Donate to help a brother get surgery done insha'Allah!

Thread: Movie Reviews

Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

12 Angry Men

Rating - 9/10

12 angry men r.jpg

Who would've though a black and white film filmed in 1957, in which all but three minutes of the film were shot inside the bare and confining jury room, could get you emotional?

This is not a movie with guns and fast cars where you see the main character dodging (or taking) a thousand bullets, nor is it a movie with fanciful plots, but it is sure to keep you watching without blinking an eye.

The film depicts what goes on in a jury room, some may say it is a little exaggerated, but I say it's possible and probably happened before.

All 12 jurors present themselves as unique characters, only two of whom we find out their name at the end. Rich, poor, old and young men with various professions and ethnicity make up the jury. Most importantly, they all come with their own prejudices.

What seems like an easy verdict turns into a session of sweaty-frustrated adults arguing furiously with each other with the aim of swaying each others opinion.

On the face of it, all odds are against the young boy, but when the evidences are properly and objectively analysed, the truth becomes evident.

Throughout the first half of the film it was hot/humid in the jury room and the fan was not working. At this stage, half of the jury voted guilty and the other half voted not guilty. Then it began to rain, the lights were switched on and the fan started working. This symbolises the swaying of the jury to the verdict of not guilty.

The moral of the story is to put aside your prejudices and look at the facts objectively. Below is a quote I noted down from the film:

"Itís always difficult to keep personal prejudice out of a thing like this. Wherever you run into it, prejudice always obscures the truth."

There are no obscene scenes, and zero swearing (in the black and white version at least).

A simple yet fantastic movie that's ought to get you thinking; watch it with your parents, spouse, friends, or by yourself and give your verdict!

**Okay, that's a cheesy review on my behalf, but you get the point**
    O you who believe! Stand out firmly for All‚h as just witnesses and let not the enmity and hatred of others make you avoid justice. Be just: that is nearer to piety, and fear All‚h. Verily, All‚h is Well-Acquainted with what you do. (Al-Mā'idah: 8)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to At-Ta'if For This Useful Post:

Islam_Junkie (19-Jan-2012), Sister. (19-Jan-2012)

3. Collapse Details

Heart and Soul in Mecca, Medina and Ta'if. Physically in Sydney
    I just came back from watching Hunger Games. It was awesome! Beyond the entertainment on the surface the underlying message behind it all I thought was very real. I highly recommend it!
    Ibn Taymiyya (r) said: The Way of those Shuyukh of Tasawwuff is to call people to Allah's Divine Presence and obedience to the Prophet (Majma'a Fatawa Ibn Taymiyya, Dar ar-Rahmat, Cairo. Vol 11. Pg 497)

4. Collapse Details

We'll go and watch Fetih 1453 soon. it's got english subtitles too i heard.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DerGen For This Useful Post:

Islam_Junkie (11-Apr-2012)

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DerGen View Post
    We'll go and watch Fetih 1453 soon. it's got english subtitles too i heard.
    Anyone seen it yet?

Singapore: oppresses Muslims, bans athaan, bans hijab in schools, prevents building of madrassahs or muslim schools, puts limit on the percentage of Muslims allowed in each apartment building, and bans Muslims from joining Singapore's elite military forces. Singapore; Israel's best buddy!

7. Collapse Details

I'm over9000!!! Muslim..Priincess's Avatar
    Isn't it fictional ^?
    Religion is all about moral character; therefore, whoever beats you in character beats you in religion."

O people who take pleasure in a life that will vanish, falling in love with a faded shadow is sheer stupidity!

- Ibn Qaiyim rahimuhAllaah

8. Collapse Details

No its based on true event. Its very good movie i recommend to highly.

9. Collapse Details

I viewed the trailer and it wasn't very appealing to me. The feedback I got from others who watched it was not positive either. I might watch it on DVD when I get the chance, but I won't go out of my way to watch it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to At-Ta'if For This Useful Post:

falah (05-Apr-2012), Islam_Junkie (17-Apr-2012)

11. Collapse Details

Just watched Hunger Games.
    Such a stupid movie. Not worth watching at cinemas. Stupidest movie I've seen in a while. Stupid.
    Whoever remembers death often will find a small amount (of worldly things) sufficient for him; and whoever includes his speech in his deeds will speak little.

Indeed, the wasteful are brothers of the devils, and ever has Satan been to his Lord ungrateful. (Surat al Isra': 27)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sister. For This Useful Post:

ninja_sista (30-Apr-2012)

13. Collapse Details

My Islam..
    i just watched a movie called I AM SLAVE.
    Really recommend it. story of a little girl taken away from her family in Africa to be brought to London and be a slave to a family. and her journey to try and escape back home.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sourceoflight For This Useful Post:

*saRah* (17-Apr-2012), DerGen (11-Apr-2012), Sister. (12-Apr-2012)

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sister. View Post
    Just watched Hunger Games.
    Such a stupid movie. Not worth watching at cinemas. Stupidest movie I've seen in a while. Stupid.
    The complete opposite of what I said about it
    Ibn Taymiyya (r) said: The Way of those Shuyukh of Tasawwuff is to call people to Allah's Divine Presence and obedience to the Prophet (Majma'a Fatawa Ibn Taymiyya, Dar ar-Rahmat, Cairo. Vol 11. Pg 497)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tay_ For This Useful Post:

Sister. (11-Apr-2012)

17. Collapse Details

Lol sorry bro don't mean to offend, I guess it's just one of those movies....
    My husband liked it though and like yourself he appreciated the underlying message, I just got annoyed over everything in the film and was sickened by the concept of it.
    Whoever remembers death often will find a small amount (of worldly things) sufficient for him; and whoever includes his speech in his deeds will speak little.

Indeed, the wasteful are brothers of the devils, and ever has Satan been to his Lord ungrateful. (Surat al Isra': 27)

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sister. View Post
    Lol sorry bro don't mean to offend, I guess it's just one of those movies....
    My husband liked it though and like yourself he appreciated the underlying message, I just got annoyed over everything in the film and was sickened by the concept of it.
    Nothing to apologise for at all, people have different tastes so its all good. The concepts I thought were a wakeup call.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tay_ For This Useful Post:

Sister. (11-Apr-2012)

20. Collapse Details

#include "islam.h"; (bro)
    Yup, really interesting movie. Yes, the concept is a bit sick but it was trying to prove a point, not to be gory for the sake of it (made apparent by the gore being kept to a minimal).
    "Islam began as something strange, and it shall return to being something strange, so give glad tidings to the strangers." - Hadith

21. The Following User Says Thank You to NRaf For This Useful Post:

Sister. (11-Apr-2012)

22. Collapse Details

Can't wait for this..

23. Collapse Details

So...went with my husband and my in-laws to see fetih 1453 on Saturday night and all I can say is what an epic.............disappointment!!!! In terms of cinematography and special effects etc it was sensational! But from an Islamic perspective it failed miserably, firstly the acting was more like a Turkish soap opera, secondly it was historically flawed, and most importantly if you don't know much about the conquest of Constantinople you would have been utterly confused as to what was going on, not to mention the most important military tactics and strategies used by the ottomans during the siege were barely addressed let alone emphasized!!!! For example they show you soldiers pulling the ships but you have no idea why they were doing it? Nor that they actually pulled them over the mountain on greased logs!!! They show the cannon blowing up the wall surrounding Constantinople but it's my understanding that those walls were indestructible and they couldnt penetrate it with their cannons so they actually mathematically determined the angle to tilt the cannon up to fire over the wall? Correct me if I'm wrong?
    Anyway, the point is it was cringe worthy and missed the point! And it certainly didn't depict faith sultan Mehmet as well as it should have - being the great leader that he was! Also there's some bogus 'romance' going on between Hassan (the famous flag bearer) and Era (a christian woman to boot).. can anyone verify if that is even factually correct? Or just a stunt to beguile an ignorant audience?!!!
    Also if you're a non-Turk, the subtitles aren't the best either according to my husband, so perhaps I got the raw end of the deal?!
    In conclusion...don't bother! Maybe wait for DVD if you're curious! Sorry if I've offended anyone, but just had to rant!!!

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Islam_Junkie For This Useful Post:

Abu Dujana (17-Apr-2012), At-Ta'if (17-Apr-2012), littleMother (17-Apr-2012)

25. Collapse Details

IJ have you seen the Arabic cartoon? it's probably better
    اللهم أرنا الحق حقا وأرزقنا اتباعه وأرنا الباطل باطلا وأرزقنا اجتنابه

26. Collapse Details

Nah but I think it's on you tube yeah?
    The Biggest Enemy of Islam is Ignorance.
    The Prophet S.A.W said, "An intelligent person is one who is constantly thinking about and preparing for death."

27. Collapse Details

Has anyone seen "Salmon Fishing in Yemen?" I looked at the book in a book shop a while back and the subject.description and title intrigued me.. now it seems they have made it into a movie with Ewan Mcgregor that is getting reasonable reviews

A fisheries expert is approached by a consultant to help realize a sheik's vision of bringing the sport of fly-fishing to the desert and embarks on an upstream journey of faith and fish to prove the impossible possible.

A visionary sheik believes his passion for the peaceful pastime of salmon fishing can enrich the lives of his people, and he dreams of bringing the sport to the not so fish-friendly desert. Willing to spare no expense, he instructs his representative to turn the dream into reality, an extraordinary feat that will require the involvement of Britain's leading fisheries expert who happens to think the project both absurd and unachievable. That is, until the Prime Minister's overzealous press secretary latches on to it as a 'good will' story. Now, this unlikely team will put it all on the line and embark on an upstream journey of faith and fish to prove the impossible, possible.

28. Collapse Details

Well Fetih has lot of wrongs in term of history. There wasn't even 'Ulubatli Hasan' in the war. His name and braveries just made up stories. The first flag was beared by 4 or 5 different people. But thats the only way youngsters these days will show an interest on history. It is a good movies, in terms of movie but yes it doenst reflect the true history

29. The Following User Says Thank You to DerGen For This Useful Post:

Islam_Junkie (17-Apr-2012)

30. Collapse Details

The Avengers = A W E S O M E
    "...The eyes are filled with tears and the heart is full of grief but we do not say anything except that which is pleasing to our lord.."

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Khaled For This Useful Post:

Sister. (30-Apr-2012)