Wednesday, 30th July, 2014
Fajr: 5:52am (ends 7:22am), Dhuhr: 12:27pm
`Asr: 3:11pm, Maghrib: 5:31pm, `Ishaa': 6:57pm

Donate to help a brother get surgery done insha'Allah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Halal Fish and Chips? 
    Anyone know if this exists?? I only know about Elizabeth St Preston but assume there must be other places around.

2. Collapse Details

roxy shoppin center

3. Collapse Details

there is an awesome one on londsdale st in dandenong, next to afghan tasty food and fire on londsdale (halal pizza).

O Allah, Revealer of the Book, Quick Taker of the accounts, defeat the confederates. O Allah, Defeat them and shake them

4. Collapse Details

our family friends got a halal fish and chips shop on Anderson st Yarraville plus there's heaps in Newport and Hoppers crossing
    اللهم أرنا الحق حقا وأرزقنا اتباعه وأرنا الباطل باطلا وأرزقنا اجتنابه

5. Collapse Details

What do the others have that makes them haram?
    Al-Hasan al-Basri said of hypocrisy: No one fears it but a believer, and no one feels safe from it but a hypocrite.

6. Collapse Details

My Islam..
    ^ was just thinking the same thing... ?

7. Collapse Details

putting haram meat in their deep fryers? using animal oil in their fryers? (unlikely but possible)

would these things make it haram?

O Allah, Revealer of the Book, Quick Taker of the accounts, defeat the confederates. O Allah, Defeat them and shake them

8. Collapse Details

ChaiSabzAddict
    is lord of the flies halal? on flinders st

9. Collapse Details

Most fish & chip shops do NOT use vegetable oil, they still use animal oil. As well as frying piggy dim sims in the same animal oil.

10. Collapse Details

vegetable oil is cheaper and lasts longer as far as i know so why would they use animal oil?

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by asdf View Post
    is lord of the flies halal? on flinders st
    lol it's lord of the fries! You're thinking of the movie!

As far as I know they are halal because most of the products are suitable for vegans, but all is suitable for vegetarians.
    I remember seeing that even the pickles are kosher LOL

12. Collapse Details

Taste and the chips are a bit more golden in colour..thats why most chips used to be fried first in animal oil then later fried in veg oil..Macdonalds used to do that till they were caught by the vegetarians and muslim groups in England..but it seems to have been common practice. Some shops use veg oil but add a bit of animal fat for taste....
    I have done that myself with home made french fries, I bought a bit of beef fat from the halal butcher and added it to the veg oil, it did give it a different taste and colour....

.................................................. ..............
    http://www.labint-online.com/feature...ing/index.html

A long frying life and excellent deep frying performance
    Refined beef dripping not only has a high smoke point of 280C, but has a very long frying life and so outperforms vegetable oils and fats. The frying performance of fats and oils is variable when these products are subjected to the conditions used for deep frying but can be determined by Rancimat analysis. This test, which measures oxidation stability, creates an artificial ageing process. Fat is fried at 120C, a lower temperature than that used during deep frying (170-180C). Eventually the fat molecules are split into volatile organic acids, which are carried in the air stream, and the charged species are detected by electrodes. It can be seen that beef dripping has high oxidative stability compared with vegetable oils [Table 1].

Two other properties of beef dripping make it a good choice for deep frying: the low rate of polar compound formation during frying and the low anisidine value. These properties can be determined experimentally by an ageing process that this time involves the use of normal deep frying temperatures.

A fat becomes rancid as the percentage of polar compounds it contains (such as free fatty acids) increases. Scientists recommend that a fat should contain less than 24% of these compounds. The anisidine value is an indicator of the stability of a fat during deep frying, and describes the amount of oxidation product formed, which includes volatile as well as non-volatile compounds. The amount of these compounds formed over time indicates the rate of deterioration of the fat. The anisidine value is determined by measuring the formation of aldehyde and ketone compounds that react with ansidine using a spectroscopic method. The Chemical Investigation Board of Hagen, Germany has found that refined beef dripping shows less oxidative and thermal degradation during deep frying compared with other tested oils and fats [Figure 1].

Excellent potato chip texture within the shortest time
    The frying time needed for cooking depends on the different fatty acids that the oil or fat contains. The Chemical Investigation Board of Hagen, scarried out an analysis to determine the exact frying time that was necessary under defined conditions. The temperature of the oil or fat examined was set at 170C, and frying continued until the temperature of the centre of a piece of potato measuring 10mm by 10mm by 50mm reached 100C. The results showed that the use of refined beef dripping allowed shorter cooking times [Table 2].

The benefits
    Beef dripping is a traditional way of preparing food with an excellent flavour and using 100% natural and non-allergenic ingredients. The use of beef dripping is a first choice for many fish and chip outlets, and animal fats are a key compound responsible for the excellent taste of the famous Belgian chips. By choosing beef dripping as a frying fat, the taste of potatoes and fried food is improved. The use of beef dripping is also a choice for the eco-friendly: the high CO2 emission resulting from long distance shipping of vegetable oils is avoided.

13. Collapse Details

The other thing is a lot of the ready made chips is halal (unless they peel and cut the potatoes themselves). So even if they fry in vegetable oil, if the chips is not halal then it makes no difference.

Then as has been said is the cross contamination, some places fry things together with non-halal products.

14. Collapse Details

Oil, frying togeather with haraam will make a halal item haraam.
    Those are the two major reasons why we need to be careful.
    And it's very rare for a Fish n' Chip shop (aussie style) to fry everything in different oil.
    But Chicken n' Chip shops generally fry the chips in a seperate oil compared to the chicken. (worked in a chicken n' chip shop when I was small)

But I only know of Preston & Broady/Sydney Rd- they have two shops. Super Chicken & Fish.

15. Collapse Details

there is a bit of haram used in fish n chips, the oil can be animal fat (not necesarily pig fat) and then you have the deep fried sausages in batter and the bacon on the hamburgers (so contamination on the grill) the rest is usually fine to eat. if they use veggie/cannola oil then pretty much everything they fry is halal (unless they sell fried battered sausages).

Alhamdullilah i was working in fish n chips from the age of 11. My mum used to sell the MOST amazing fish n chips up in Carnegie (near clayton, her and dad have been in fish n chips for almost 27 yrs) and everything was halal. we had cornbeef/silverside instead of bacon, and halal sausages instead of yuk pork ones. All the meat was from subshine halal meats. I think thats why there was so much barakah in it and the food was always AMAZING!!!!!! Masha'Allah!!

once this lady travelled 1 hour to eat our fish n chips bcos she heard a really good reveiw about it on the radio!! sadly mum sold it and now chinese own it and it taste horrible. My mum wanted to teach them her "secret" batter recipe but they wanted to do their own stuff and it's not busy anymore.
    If you make intense supplication and the timing of the answer is delayed, do not despair of it. His reply to you is gauranteed; but in the way He chooses, not the way you choose, and at the moment He desires, not the moment you desire.

16. Collapse Details

It really is all in the batter, I miss potato cakes cooked in decent batter, it is almost impossible to get nice ones now. Steak burgers yum they are impossible to find (like a burger in batter). Ahh well back to daydreaming about great potato cakes of bygone days.
    I wont mind if you post your mums secret recipe for batter saRah, none of us will tell anyone about it, it will be "our" little secret..

17. Collapse Details

^ you still have the issue of dim sims, because there generally pork.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by khadouj View Post
    It really is all in the batter, I miss potato cakes cooked in decent batter, it is almost impossible to get nice ones now. Steak burgers yum they are impossible to find (like a burger in batter). Ahh well back to daydreaming about great potato cakes of bygone days.
    I wont mind if you post your mums secret recipe for batter saRah, none of us will tell anyone about it, it will be "our" little secret..
    haha i once asked my mum and she didnt tell me!!! she will only tell me if i open up a fish n chip shop lol she's so cute and funny, she was so proud when i asked her

unfortunatly MOST fish n chip shops use ready bought potato cakes. they are battered and frozen and sent to fish n chip shops by the companies. even some flakes are done in the same manner!! My mum used to sell fresh fish at the front window and actually cut the fish in front of them and fry it. yumm

ummi Abdul malik i'm pretty sure there are a range of dim sims that are halal. I'll ask mum what she used Insha'Allah.
    If you make intense supplication and the timing of the answer is delayed, do not despair of it. His reply to you is gauranteed; but in the way He chooses, not the way you choose, and at the moment He desires, not the moment you desire.

19. Collapse Details

I'm talking about if you buy from a non muslim fish n' chip shop they can use pork dim sims.
    we have lamb ones in my house...

I really dislike the pre-made potato cakes....i love potato cakes but can't find any decent ones

20. Collapse Details

Bladin Fish N Chips in Laverton are now halal too

Many of the Muslim owned businesses now prefer to use silverside/corned beef instead of bacon and there are many halal products available now alhamdullilah.