Friday, 24th October, 2014
Fajr: 4:48am (ends 6:23am), Dhuhr: 1:05pm
`Asr: 4:49pm, Maghrib: 7:46pm, `Ishaa': 9:16pm

Donate to help a brother get surgery done insha'Allah!

Thread: What do you do?

1. Collapse Details
    What do you do? 
    I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but here goes...

What do you do, both spiritually and practically, when you're depressed and feel like everything's piling up and going wrong and you have no relief from it?

2. Collapse Details

Make a long dua (supplication) to Allah for help.

Try to organise the stuff that's piling up to make it more manageable.

Dump what you can if you can.

Allow yourself to take a break for a moment and know the world won't fall apart around you if you do.

Remind myself that there are people in much worse positions in life. Remind myself that life is pretty short and fleeting in the large scheme of things.
    Al-Hasan al-Basri said of hypocrisy: No one fears it but a believer, and no one feels safe from it but a hypocrite.

3. Collapse Details

Ask God to show you the right path and make it easy for you to take it when you recognize it.

Edit: I did not see the practically part. Well what I do then is, after asking God, I simply do that which I feel is best. Sometimes I have an initial feeling towards a matter, and I want to do it a certain way, but I have doubts. But after my prayer I simply analyze my feelings towards it and do that which I am most comfortable doing. Usually the rash opinion is not the right one, in my experience.

أحب الصالحين ولست منهم وأرجو أن أنال بهم شفاعة
    وأكره من تجارته المعاصي وإن كنا سواء في البضاعة

إمام الشافعي رحمه الله تعالى -

4. Collapse Details

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ اسْتَعِينُواْ بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلاَةِ إِنَّ اللّهَ مَعَ الصَّابِرِينَ

O you who believe! Seek help in patience and the prayer. Truly! Allah is with the patient.

al baqarah : 153

O Allah, Revealer of the Book, Quick Taker of the accounts, defeat the confederates. O Allah, Defeat them and shake them

5. Collapse Details

^^^ all the above. .and seek out good sisters to be around insha'Allah.. you don't even need to tell them you are struggling, but it helps ..sometimes you need to be alone with your Lord, but then go be with your sister friends..
    Allah is sufficient for us and He is the best Disposer of Affairs..

http://jameelah61.wordpress.com

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by carol_au View Post
    ^^^ all the above. .and seek out good sisters to be around insha'Allah.. you don't even need to tell them you are struggling, but it helps ..sometimes you need to be alone with your Lord, but then go be with your sister friends..
    I feel like I can't relate to anyone of my girlfriends, it just makes me feel more lonely

7. Collapse Details

Do you believe in Allah and His Prophet Muhammad ?

8. Collapse Details

You need sisters around you who understand their purpose in this life, who will not tell you just what you want to hear, but advise you to the best way insha'Allah. Maybe you need to meet a new group of friends who you can relate to on a different level, where you can be more honest with them without the fear of them judging you. When I first reverted I had so many 'friends' but really they were just aquaintances who wanted something from me. I then met a group of muslim women who were so amazing, caring, giving not because they wanted something from me, but because they wanted to please their creator. These are the types of women you need around you insha'Allah. May Allah (swt) make everything easy for you and bring you peace and tranquility in your heart.
    When Allah tests you, it is never intended to destroy you.
    When He removes something in your possession,
    it is only in order to empty your hands for an even greater gift."
    Ibn Qayyim al Jawziyyah

9. Collapse Details

^^^^ yes Sis Binyameen is right.. that is why I said "good sisters".. you need to be surrounded by sisters who do all that Sis Binyameen said in her post. I guess finding sisters might seem difficult to you.. so find a group who study together and become involved with them. insha'Allah they will help you hold fast to Allah even when the going is hard.

I know the feelings. you are a revert I think.. and I battle constantly with thoughts that really can pull me down if I don't always focus on my Lord.. Allah SWT tells us that just because we are believers we shouldn't expect it to be easy.. we will struggle with our nafs.. that is why we need sisters around us and a knowledge of Allah SWT and your deen

Be strong sis. and pm me if you need someone to talk to insha'Allah
    Allah is sufficient for us and He is the best Disposer of Affairs..

http://jameelah61.wordpress.com

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by carol_au View Post
    ^^^^ yes Sis Binyameen is right.. that is why I said "good sisters".. you need to be surrounded by sisters who do all that Sis Binyameen said in her post. I guess finding sisters might seem difficult to you.. so find a group who study together and become involved with them. insha'Allah they will help you hold fast to Allah even when the going is hard.

I know the feelings. you are a revert I think.. and I battle constantly with thoughts that really can pull me down if I don't always focus on my Lord.. Allah SWT tells us that just because we are believers we shouldn't expect it to be easy.. we will struggle with our nafs.. that is why we need sisters around us and a knowledge of Allah SWT and your deen

Be strong sis. and pm me if you need someone to talk to insha'Allah
    Sister I'm not a Muslim, I'm an Orthodox Christian, sorry for the confusion

11. Collapse Details

Is she a revert? Are you a Muslim Girl? Did I miss something?

12. Collapse Details

No Ahmad I'm not a Muslim, I thought you guys all knew that :S

13. Collapse Details

I did but they ^ confused me heh.

14. Collapse Details

Sister I'm not a Muslim, I'm an Orthodox Christian, sorry for the confusion
    You'd still benefit from being around good sisters who love their creator
    Ibn Qayyim al Jawziyyah

15. Collapse Details

Banned
    I say, read Qur'an for atleast one hour each day, get your body clock in order & eat well, all for Allah's sake.

16. Collapse Details

It may be that it is right time to try search the truth of God as many times when we r depressed and find no way out it is a way from our God to bring us close to Himself.

17. Collapse Details

I understand that as you are Christian, you may offer prayer in a different way.

For me, I have had many trying times over the last few years and what has got me through these times is turning to Allah (God) alone.

I believe He has given me these trials for a reason and that is to become closer to Him and to trust in Him. If you think of it in a way that God has put you through a trial for a reason, and that the reason may be so you feel closer to Him, then it makes things a lot easier I feel.

Try and pray to God alone. Wake in the middle of the night if you can when it is quiet and peaceful. Really pray to Him and believe that He can assist you with whatever hardship you are facing.

Hope this helps.

18. Collapse Details

Recovering Workaholic soulmatters's Avatar
    You need to seek out people who are can be smart and insightful friends. Like UB not people who tell you what you want to hear. They are not friends.

You need people who will listen to what you have to say and understand that all they need to do is be there. There are not a lot of people like that, but if you search, you will find some. Like sis Carol said, people who do things for the sake of their God, are always the right choice. They do not judge, do not mislead and care selflessly.
    Allβh is Sufficient as a Walξ (Protector), and Allβh is Sufficient as a Helper. 4:45

19. Collapse Details

Umm A'isha, Safiya & Fadi (―`•._.•[OmAyA]•._.•΄―)'s Avatar
    when you have no shoes, remember some people have no feet... We all think we have problems but there's always someone who is worse off than us...
    MaY GoodNeSS SuRRouND YoU, MaY HaPPiNeSS Be ARouND YoU, MaY ALLAH pRoTecT YoU & NeVeR FoRGeT YoU.

20. Collapse Details

Thinking about the people in Gaza or any of the other oppressed nations is enough for me. In most cases they don't have power, clean water or sewerage in some cases. Their houses have been destroyed, they live in rubble.

And now, I think about Br. Isa's wife and her tests and realise that I have nothing to complain about. This helps me to get over my own problems....and then i realise if I just spend my time doing things to help other people, then I feel better. This is a Christian thing to do too I believe. So, find a project helping someone or a family, and put your energy into that. Insha'Allah you will feel the same peace and tranquility that i feel.

And Girl, I do pray that you are guided to Islam. Please don't think being Muslim will negate your beliefs, but will complete them. For me, when I reverted, it was because of the miracles in the Qur'an, which led to me believing the Qur'an was the word of God. And then it all follows from there. He said in the Qur'an that Islam is the only religion He will accept. That was enough for me. And remember Islam encompasses all the teachings from all the Messengers before Muhammad (saw), including Jesus (as).
    Ibn Qayyim al Jawziyyah