Thursday, 24th April, 2014
Fajr: 5:27am (ends 6:54am), Dhuhr: 12:19pm
`Asr: 3:18pm, Maghrib: 5:42pm, `Ishaa': 7:05pm

Donate to help a brother get surgery done insha'Allah!

Thread: Soup recipes?

1. Collapse Details
    Soup recipes? 
    Looking for a nice simple soup recipe..
    preferably meat-less and not too chunky... but then again, if it is super yum I would give it a go...
    Any really good lemoney ones?
    The woman came out of a manís ribs.Not from his feet to be walked on not from his head to be superior,but frm his side to be equal,under the arm to be protected,and next to the heart to be loved

2. Collapse Details

The good ol pumpkin soup is about as easy and tasty as it gets! I can post one up if you don't already have one...
    Oh and lentil soups are always nice and filling - mercemek especially! Depends what you feel like.
    There are a few good recipes out there but from my experience the simple soups are often the best tasting. Oh and more than often I just make it up depending on what perishable ingredients I have in the fridge, be creative I suppose.
    The Biggest Enemy of Islam is Ignorance.
    The Prophet S.A.W said, "An intelligent person is one who is constantly thinking about and preparing for death."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Islam_Junkie For This Useful Post:

CVM (13-Mar-2012)

4. Collapse Details

CVM I make a chicken soup that is lemony - you could leave out the chicken but use some kind of chicken stock for the flavour part (like the cubes or vegeta chicken). Basically it is chicken pieces on bone boiled in water and chicken stock powder (skip the chicken part). After a bit, I add pumpkin pieces let that cook till they are soft - then I mash a lot of the peices intot he stock though leave some whole, then add potatoes (you could add carrots too if you want) and let it cook tillt he potatoes are done. The important part is to get fresh coriander (like a bunch) - chop it up and add it to the soup as you turn it off and mix it in. You could also add some spring onion if you want. Oops forgot about salt and pepper too. Then when you serve you put a good deal of lemon juice on it and I eat it with lebo bread.

What my mum does is to boil the chicken on the bone for a long time and the meat falls off into the water into strands so its not as 'meaty' if you still want to get some meat into you. You can take the bones out then.
    Al-Hasan al-Basri said of hypocrisy: No one fears it but a believer, and no one feels safe from it but a hypocrite.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aussiemu For This Useful Post:

CVM (13-Mar-2012), littleMother (13-Mar-2012)

6. Collapse Details

There's a really nice soup that my mom makes. I ate something very similar over a Libyan friend's house one time, and basically it is tomato soup with zucchini and bulgur. Sometimes they put chickpeas in it too.

I don't have the exact recipe, but I can tell you what it contains and it can easily be made:

Zucchini sliced into medium length strips
    Diced fresh tomato
    Tomato paste
    Bulgur
    Dry crushed mint leaves (this is important)
    Maybe it contains basil too, but I'm not sure.
    garnish with diced green onion (or shallots as they're sometimes called).
    Salt to taste

Don't know the exact process for making it but ideally you want to boil the vegetables so that the tomatoes dissolve in the water for the most part but the zucchini stays in shape although quite soft. Bulgur cooks fast so it can be added a little right before the overall dish is done.

You can add any kind of meat with it as well btw, I've had it with chicken before. It comes out to be a red color with the bulgur in it along with the mint sprinkles and it's my favorite soup. Couldn't find it online when I searched but maybe someone here knows what I'm talking about.

7. Collapse Details

I always wonder how do you know what ingredients to put in a recipe that you make up from your head?? I mean how do you know what tastes good together???

8. Collapse Details

Dunno how others do it but I can say how I learned to cook without recipes (unless I want to make something new and different). I just started cooking using recipes, and I was making the Arabic dishes my mom makes as well as a bunch of Indian/Pakistani dishes following recipes. Then eventually you can make those dishes without recipes, and increase the spices/ingredients you personally like in them and decrease the ones you like less. Eventually you realize what spices you like a lot, and then when you have completely different ingredients, you can feel like "hey, I can use my favorite spices on this and it'll probably turn out great", and there ya go.

Plus you learn stuff. If you put crushed mint leaves in a stew with tomato sauce or tomato soup, it makes a huge difference and it really is one of those truly winning combinations. I dunno who discovered that one and it's not intuitive to me since I don't regularly use those ingredients, but it's good and that person needs a prize methinks.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to from water For This Useful Post:

Islam_Junkie (16-Mar-2012), Najwa Al Mu'minah (17-Mar-2012)

10. Collapse Details

Trial and error sis, generally when you've been cooking for awhile you instinctively know what ingredients marry well together. Plus if you keep it simple and use good quality produce you can't go wrong and often very little needs to be added. With soup it's usually 3 steps: caramelize the ingredients in a pot, add seasonings, add stock and cook...voila! Very general I know but you get the point. Plus I make my own stock and freeze it in batches so that makes a significant difference to the flavor of the soup.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Islam_Junkie For This Useful Post:

aussiemu (17-Mar-2012), from water (17-Mar-2012), Najwa Al Mu'minah (17-Mar-2012)

12. Collapse Details

You'll start to see patterns in dishes when cooking from recipes. I would stick to recipes initially and then start substituting ingredients or changing something here and there and you'll start to feel more comfortable. For e.g. in the soup above we don't put carrots but I know carrots would be fine. Even a can of chickpeas would go nicely in it. You could chuck in some tomato as well. Add some spinach. These types of things won't wreck the dish. But if you wanted to add sugar for e.g. then it might be weird :P

Sometimes I make a rice dish that uses chicken but you can tell that beef/lamb would be nice in it too.
    Al-Hasan al-Basri said of hypocrisy: No one fears it but a believer, and no one feels safe from it but a hypocrite.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to aussiemu For This Useful Post:

Najwa Al Mu'minah (17-Mar-2012)