Thursday, 23rd October, 2014
Fajr: 4:50am (ends 6:24am), Dhuhr: 1:05pm
`Asr: 4:49pm, Maghrib: 7:45pm, `Ishaa': 9:15pm

Donate to help a brother get surgery done insha'Allah!

Thread: iCloud?!

1. Collapse Details
    iCloud?! 
    Assallam alaikum

I was wondering if someone could please explain how iCloud works in terms of backing up all ur info? How do I retrieve it all again if I need to and do I have to sync everything onto the computer or is that the purpose of iCloud?

2. Collapse Details

Wa alaykum salaam,

iCloud automatically backs up your iOS device while it's charging - provided you have opted in of course.

To retrieve your info simply login with your Apple ID and all your apps, photos, etc... starts automatically downloading/installing on your device.

The whole idea behind iCloud is to remove the computer as a dependency, so no you do not have to sync everything on to the PC but you can do so if you wish, either via a USB cable or wirelessly. It's easier to just backup via iCloud.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to is@ For This Useful Post:

$uRreNdr (02-Apr-2012)

4. Collapse Details

I can see Abu Layla!
    How it works is this....

5. Collapse Details

Jzakallahu kheir!

So In a case where, say I get a new iPhone or have it replaced by apple all I need to do is sign in into iCloud and it'll automatically download everything?
    “The parable of those who disbelieve is as the parable of one who calls; but they hear nothing, except a call and a cry. Deaf, dumb and blind, so they understand not”.
    2:171

6. Collapse Details

#include "islam.h"; (bro)
    I've been using Dropbox for a while now. Benefit is it works across multiple devices and operating systems (easy to use from Mac, iOS, Windows, Linux, Android).

7. Collapse Details

I can see Abu Layla!
    It also means whatever you back up is on the Internet...

8. Collapse Details

#include "islam.h"; (bro)
    Yup, stored on Amazon S3 servers. I did some research before I signed up and was satisfied with the security. Yup, there's a trade-off between convenience and security, but the same can be said about a person's email account. I'd much prefer someone gain access to my Dropbox account than to my email account (in which case, getting access to my Dropbox becomes trivial).
    "Islam began as something strange, and it shall return to being something strange, so give glad tidings to the strangers." - Hadith

9. Collapse Details

Ok so I'm doing the manual back up and it's saying 18 hours remaining. I'm connected to my Internet which is really
    Good and really fast so not sure why it's taking so long?

Also when automatically backing up, if nothing pops up on your screen how do u know if its backed up everything?
    “The parable of those who disbelieve is as the parable of one who calls; but they hear nothing, except a call and a cry. Deaf, dumb and blind, so they understand not”.
    2:171