Donate to help a brother get surgery done insha'Allah!

Thread: Sugar Is Toxic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Sugar Is Toxic 
    Is sugar toxic?

(CBS News) Dr. Robert Lustig, a pediatric endocrinologist at the University of California, believes the high amount of sugar in the American diet, much of it in processed foods, is killing us. And as Dr. Sanjay Gupta reports, new scientific research seems to support his theory that sugar is toxic, including some linking the excess ingestion of sugars to heart disease. Gupta's report will be broadcast on 60 Minutes Sunday, April 1 at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

Americans are now consuming nearly 130 pounds of added sugars per person, per year. Those include both sugar and high fructose corn syrup. And while many vilify high fructose corn syrup and believe it is worse than sugar, Dr. Lustig says metabolically there is no difference. "They are basically equivalent. The problem is they're both bad. They're both equally toxic," he says.

Dr. Lustig treats sick, obese children, who he believes are primarily sick because of the amount of sugar they ingest. He says this sugar not only leads to obesity, but to "Type 2 diabetes, hypertension and heart disease itself." Something needs to be done says Dr. Lustig. "Ultimately, this is a public health crisis...you have to do big things and you have to do them across the board," he tells Gupta.

"Tobacco and alcohol are perfect examples," he says, referring to the regulations imposed on their consumption and the warnings on their labels. "I think sugar belongs in this exact same wastebasket."

A recent study supports the idea that excess consumption of high fructose corn syrup is linked to an increase in risk factors for heart disease by increasing a type of cholesterol that can clog arteries. The University of California, Davis, study also indicated that calories from added sugars are different than those from other foods. Subjects had 25 percent of their caloric intake replaced with sweetened drinks.

Nutritional biologist Kimber Stanhope was surprised to see that after only two weeks, "We found that the subjects who consumed high fructose corn syrup had increased levels of LDL cholesterol and other risk factors for cardiovascular disease," she tells Gupta. "I started eating and drinking a whole lot less sugar."

What happens says Stanhope, is the liver gets overloaded with fructose and converts come of it into fat, which gets into the bloodstream to create "small dense LDL," the kind of LDL that forms plaque in arteries. The irony here is that for precisely that reason - avoiding heart disease - a government commission in the 1970s mandated that we lower our fat consumption.

"When you take the fat out of food, it tastes like cardboard," says Dr. Lustig. "And the food industry knew that, so they replaced it with sugar...and guess what? Heart disease, metabolic syndrome, diabetes and death are skyrocketing," he tells Gupta.

And other scientific work shows that sugar could also be helping some cancer tumors to grow because sugar stimulates the production of the hormone insulin. Nearly a third of common cancers such as some breast and colon cancers, contain insulin receptors that eventually signal the tumor to consume glucose. Lewis Cantley, a Harvard professor and head of the Beth Israel Deaconess Cancer Center, says some of those cancers have learned to adapt to an insulin-rich environment.

"They have evolved the ability to hijack that flow of glucose that's going by in the bloodstream into the tumor itself."

What does the sugar industry have to say about this? Gupta spoke with Jim Simon, a member of the board of the Sugar Association. "To say that the American consuming public is going to omit, eliminate sweeteners out of their diet, I don't think gets us there," he says.

Simon points out that the science is "not completely clear" and it's wrong to single out one food because the real emphasis should be on long-term reduction of calories, balanced diet and exercise.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SammerTX For This Useful Post:

cheesegirl (03-Apr-2012)

3. Collapse Details

Although the cancer part is a bit sensationalist, the article makes a good point that we eat WAY too much processed foods with high sugar. The most annoying are the low fat foods which are packed with sugar.

Shouldn't have baked thise biscuits yesterday...
    "Have they not travelled in the land so that they should have hearts with which to understand, or ears with which to hear? For surely it is not the eyes that are blind, but blind are the hearts which are in the breasts."
    [al-Hajj, ayah 46]

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheesegirl For This Useful Post:

NRaf (02-Apr-2012), Ummi_Abdulmalik (16-May-2012)

5. Collapse Details

Yeah people don't really understand what happens to their body when white sugar enters their bloodstream.

Aside from the fact that white sugar is a 100% pure chemical with zero nutritional value, it would help anyone to eliminate or greatly reduce the amount they consume.

When you consume any form of refined carbohydrates (like white sugar), it rapidly spikes up your blood sugar levels. Your body needs to bring those levels down so it secrets a surge of insulin, other "male" hormones and an insulin-like growth factor called IGF-1.

The excretion of these hormones overwhelms your liver and your internal system in general.

That's why so many people have that "crash" afterwards and feel sleepy.

They put it in everything these days, even fast food.

So while they encourage people to keep away from it, it's very hard to avoid if you don't make a conscious effort.

6. Collapse Details

#include "islam.h"; (bro)
    Yum, that was an epic cookie mashaAllah! Thanks for bringing me one at work, sister of mine. Now begins the hard part of getting through the day without scoffing down dot's share as well...
    "Islam began as something strange, and it shall return to being something strange, so give glad tidings to the strangers." - Hadith

7. Collapse Details

ummAadamJullanarLayth littleMother's Avatar
    thats why its important to also not overdo your carb intake. has the same affect as sugar.

I've cut down on Sugar and Carbs for the last week and up'ed my fat intake and I've lost 2 kgs in a week.

"Say what you wish in abuse of me, for my silence towards an idiot is indeed an answer. I am not at a loss for a response but rather, It does not befit the lion to answer dogs." -

Imam Shafi (rahimaullah)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littleMother For This Useful Post:

SammerTX (02-Apr-2012), UmmNRZ (20-Apr-2012)

9. Collapse Details

oh and forgot to add that I've heard the book 'Sweet Poison' is very good. havent read it yet but will soon insha'Allah

"Say what you wish in abuse of me, for my silence towards an idiot is indeed an answer. I am not at a loss for a response but rather, It does not befit the lion to answer dogs." -

Imam Shafi (rahimaullah)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to littleMother For This Useful Post:

UmmNRZ (20-Apr-2012)

11. Collapse Details

Doesn't that book say glucose is good and fructose evil? This guy is saying that they are both the same.

Also, wholegrain carbs are awesome cos you don't get that spike.

Nraf - you better not touch that other cookie!! If you come over tonight you can have some more.
    "Have they not travelled in the land so that they should have hearts with which to understand, or ears with which to hear? For surely it is not the eyes that are blind, but blind are the hearts which are in the breasts."
    [al-Hajj, ayah 46]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cheesegirl For This Useful Post:

Sister. (02-Apr-2012)

13. Collapse Details

Crunching Numbers
    On a related topic Ben & Jerry's are having a free cone day tomorrow!
    Unity, Faith, Discipline

14. Collapse Details

Cheese girl that author says both are bad, because sugar is one molecule fructose and one molecule sucrose. I have read his books sweet poison, and the quit plan one. Lil mother I would lend it to u but i brought it on iBook

15. Collapse Details

Sugar can make you dumb, US scientists warn

Eating too much sugar can eat away at your brainpower, according to US scientists who published a study Tuesday showing how a steady diet of high-fructose corn syrup sapped lab rats' memories.

Researchers at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) fed two groups of rats a solution containing high-fructose corn syrup -- a common ingredient in processed foods -- as drinking water for six weeks.

One group of rats was supplemented with brain-boosting omega-3 fatty acids in the form of flaxseed oil and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), while the other group was not.

Before the sugar drinks began, the rats were enrolled in a five-day training session in a complicated maze. After six weeks on the sweet solution, the rats were then placed back in the maze to see how they fared.

"The DHA-deprived animals were slower, and their brains showed a decline in synaptic activity," said Fernando Gomez-Pinilla, a professor of neurosurgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.

"Their brain cells had trouble signaling each other, disrupting the rats' ability to think clearly and recall the route they'd learned six weeks earlier."

A closer look at the rat brains revealed that those who were not fed DHA supplements had also developed signs of resistance to insulin, a hormone that controls blood sugar and regulates brain function.

"Because insulin can penetrate the blood-brain barrier, the hormone may signal neurons to trigger reactions that disrupt learning and cause memory loss," Gomez-Pinilla said.

In other words, eating too much fructose could interfere with insulin's ability to regulate how cells use and store sugar, which is necessary for processing thoughts and emotions.

"Insulin is important in the body for controlling blood sugar, but it may play a different role in the brain, where insulin appears to disturb memory and learning," Gomez-Pinilla said.

"Our study shows that a high-fructose diet harms the brain as well as the body. This is something new."
    High-fructose corn syrup is commonly found in soda, condiments, applesauce, baby food and other processed snacks.

The average American consumes more than 40 pounds (18 kilograms) of high-fructose corn syrup per year, according to the US Department of Agriculture.

While the study did not say what the equivalent might be for a human to consume as much high-fructose corn syrup as the rats did, researchers said it provides some evidence that metabolic syndrome can affect the mind as well as the body.

"Our findings illustrate that what you eat affects how you think," said Gomez-Pinilla.

"Eating a high-fructose diet over the long term alters your brain's ability to learn and remember information. But adding omega-3 fatty acids to your meals can help minimize the damage."

The study appeared in the Journal of Physiology.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SammerTX For This Useful Post:

cheesegirl (16-May-2012)

17. Collapse Details

Umar R.A and Sugar

Ibne Umar (RA) used to buy sugar (made from dates) and distribute it among the poor. His servant once submitted that it would be better if bread were given to the poor instead of sugar, as they would benefit more from it. He agreed with the suggestion but said that Allah Ta'ala has said: You will never attain piety unless you spend of that which you love.(Al-Imran:92). Since, he himself loved sugar most, he gave the same to the poor.

Sugar can make you dumb, US scientists warn

Reckless eating in general dulls the intellect as the classical scholars have written.

Books like 'Purification of the Soul' focused on faith and how to worship correctly and have a good character, has sections just about eating and the role of food in our faith. I remember roughly reading along the lines of overeating dulls the intellect, weighs the body down, makes one lazy, prevents one from worshiping.

Also you can find heaps of sayings of the pious predecessors related to effects of overeating. I recall along the lines of a pious predecessor whose normal routine it was to pray tahajjud and read Qur'an at night, couldn't do so one night because he ate more than his fill. The next morning he held himself to account and was so disappointed with himself that he vowed never to eat to his fill again.

So point is, overeating in general can 'make you dumb'.
    اللهم أرنا الحق حقا وأرزقنا اتباعه وأرنا الباطل باطلا وأرزقنا اجتنابه

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatima_43 For This Useful Post:

At-Ta'if (16-May-2012), Islam_Junkie (16-May-2012)

19. Collapse Details

I think you editted your post but anyway you can't compare the two - he lived in a time where people ate natural diets and did not have 'epidemic' levels of obesity or diabetes - where as we live in opposite times where obesity and diabetes are rife and in general diets are shocking and packed with excess sugar.
    [al-Hajj, ayah 46]

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheesegirl For This Useful Post:

fatima_43 (16-May-2012), Islam_Junkie (16-May-2012)

21. Collapse Details

Moderation.
    O you who believe! Stand out firmly for All‚h as just witnesses and let not the enmity and hatred of others make you avoid justice. Be just: that is nearer to piety, and fear All‚h. Verily, All‚h is Well-Acquainted with what you do. (Al-Mā'idah: 8)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to At-Ta'if For This Useful Post:

Islam_Junkie (16-May-2012)

23. Collapse Details

24. Collapse Details

that's right cheesegirl, wasn't comparing it to our times though it was just for information coz I thought it was cute
    اللهم أرنا الحق حقا وأرزقنا اتباعه وأرنا الباطل باطلا وأرزقنا اجتنابه

25. The Following User Says Thank You to fatima_43 For This Useful Post:

cheesegirl (16-May-2012)

26. Collapse Details

#include "islam.h"; (bro)
    Keep in mind that date sugar today is sold in health food stores (at an expensive price as expected) and is actually a good alternative to white sugar where applicable except it can't be used in all cases (i.e. it doesn't dissolve in water).
    "Islam began as something strange, and it shall return to being something strange, so give glad tidings to the strangers." - Hadith

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NRaf For This Useful Post:

cheesegirl (16-May-2012), muslim childcare (24-Nov-2012)

28. Collapse Details

fatima_43, dates are very nutritious so Ibn Umar was onto something for sure.

I'd say overeating can make one lazy not dumb though since there's a lot of chubby, round folks who are absolutely brilliant.

I did a science fair project when I was in grade 2 about honey and sugar.

Dr. Ahmad Al Kadi (rahimahullah) drove 40 minutes to our house (when we lived in Florida) from his clinic to help me. He spent two hours simplifying medical terms to a grade 2'er after a 12 hour work day. What a legend he was.

Anyway the ignoramus judges back then gave me an average mark and a smiley face with the comment "both taste very sweet!".

Wow some hard hitting scientific insight there.

Up next, drinking poison is bad for you.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SammerTX For This Useful Post:

cheesegirl (17-May-2012), Islam_Junkie (17-May-2012)

30. Collapse Details

no doubt sugar is injures for our health,I was sugar addict once,i drinks three to four spoon in my tea and drink tea three times a day.Also eat chocolates,cakes,and other sweets,but now i control myself and try to avoid sugar or sweety things as much as i can.thats why its important to also not overdo your carb intake. has the same affect as sugar.

31. Collapse Details

A great alternative to sugar is xylitol it can replace sugar in all things is safe for diabetics (0% sugar) and is good for your teeth (its an ingredient in alot of natural toothpastes) oh and doesn't contain aspartame which alot of 'sugar replacement'.. It comes froma bark

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sumayyah For This Useful Post:

aussiemu (28-Mar-2013), littleMother (23-Nov-2012)

33. Collapse Details

and costs a fortune! but still better

Imam Shafi (rahimaullah)