Friday, 25th July, 2014
Fajr: 5:55am (ends 7:26am), Dhuhr: 12:27pm
`Asr: 3:08pm, Maghrib: 5:27pm, `Ishaa': 6:54pm

Donate to help a brother get surgery done insha'Allah!

1. Collapse Details
    How to scent your clothes with incense 
    Here is an instructional video by a brother in Canada (American) on how to scent your clothing:

PS: He reminds me of from water

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to At-Ta'if For This Useful Post:

*saRah* (12-Apr-2012), from water (12-Apr-2012)

3. Collapse Details

There are other ways too, this is just one.
    O you who believe! Stand out firmly for All‚h as just witnesses and let not the enmity and hatred of others make you avoid justice. Be just: that is nearer to piety, and fear All‚h. Verily, All‚h is Well-Acquainted with what you do. (Al-Mā'idah: 8)

4. Collapse Details

Lol, I do like agarwood, I have a couple of attars that contain it. I didn't know you can do this sort of thing though and that is really cool, but the problem is the only time I saw that wood on sale it was so expensive x_x

I saw a kind called Malaysian Agarwood on sale, and maybe next time I go to MY I'll see if they have it there for a cheaper price insha Allah. I'm seeing people say it lasts for a really long time, which is great.

أحب الصالحين ولست منهم وأرجو أن أنال بهم شفاعة
    وأكره من تجارته المعاصي وإن كنا سواء في البضاعة

إمام الشافعي رحمه الله تعالى -

5. Collapse Details

#include "islam.h"; (bro)
    We came across a nice sister selling agarwood pieces in Kuala Lumpur on our first day in Malaysia. It was in the shopping centre right next to the Bukit Bintang monorail station.
    "Islam began as something strange, and it shall return to being something strange, so give glad tidings to the strangers." - Hadith

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by from water View Post
    Lol, I do like agarwood, I have a couple of attars that contain it. I didn't know you can do this sort of thing though and that is really cool, but the problem is the only time I saw that wood on sale it was so expensive x_x

I saw a kind called Malaysian Agarwood on sale, and maybe next time I go to MY I'll see if they have it there for a cheaper price insha Allah. I'm seeing people say it lasts for a really long time, which is great.
    High quality agarwood chips can be really expensive, but so can the cheap stuff. It's a lucrative industry and if you don't trust your seller, it's really difficult to know what you're buying if you don't know much about the product.

There are too many variants with agarwood; the country it's from, the region, what part of the tree the piece is from, the age, and the distillation method etc.

I can generally tell when something is purely 'Oud oil or if it's mixed with perfume. I have one such oil and it's a mix of both, it's one of my favourites though and I get many compliments when wearing it. It's fairly expensive though so I don't always apply it - I can send you a sample if you like (free of charge, no catches)
    O you who believe! Stand out firmly for All‚h as just witnesses and let not the enmity and hatred of others make you avoid justice. Be just: that is nearer to piety, and fear All‚h. Verily, All‚h is Well-Acquainted with what you do. (Al-Mā'idah: 8)

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NRaf View Post
    We came across a nice sister selling agarwood pieces in Kuala Lumpur on our first day in Malaysia. It was in the shopping centre right next to the Bukit Bintang monorail station.
    Masha'Allah, the best thing to do would be to buy a small amount and sample it. If you're happy with the quality then buy more. I would love to visit the distillation plants in those countries (Malaysia, India, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam etc) and witness/document the process first hand.

As a rule of thumb, the more resinous the wood is the better. When you put it on the coal, you should see the resin bubbling up.

PS: I can send you a small sample too of the oil I mentioned to from water

8. Collapse Details

#include "islam.h"; (bro)
    Jazakallahu khayr for the offer. I actually was thinking of buying some wood but the sister mentioned that we wouldn't be able to get it through to Australia so I purchased some nice oud attar which is actually very nice, mashaAllah (better than most of the ones I came across in Saudi).

We went on a rainforest tour and came across an agar agar tree which was cool. It had some mold on it, as well. The guide carried a small bottle of oud but it seemed to be quite a cheap variety.
    "Islam began as something strange, and it shall return to being something strange, so give glad tidings to the strangers." - Hadith

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NRaf View Post
    Jazakallahu khayr for the offer. I actually was thinking of buying some wood but the sister mentioned that we wouldn't be able to get it through to Australia so I purchased some nice oud attar which is actually very nice, mashaAllah (better than most of the ones I came across in Saudi).

We went on a rainforest tour and came across an agar agar tree which was cool. It had some mold on it, as well. The guide carried a small bottle of oud but it seemed to be quite a cheap variety.
    Wa iyyakum.

The sister was right, it's not that easy to import 'oud chips into Australia because of all the quarantine/customs restrictions etc. I'm actually waiting on some good quality ones, I don't mind paying a premium for the higher quality 'oud chips.

While we're on the topic, it's important not to get fooled by the fancy packaging and naming by the large perfume houses such as Arabian Oud, Ajmal and Abdul Samad Al Qurashi. While they may have nice scents, they charge a premium because the people in the gulf can afford to pay it; what they're actually paying for is the fancy bottle and box. At the end of the day, they get their oils mainly from countries such as India etc.

10. Collapse Details

Jazakumullahu khair for the offer but that's okay, it's a long distance to ship it and I can find some insha Allah

Actually it's funny this topic came up because some days back I did order a bottle of oudh with white musk and agarwood. I just got it this afternoon and I like it. It's a small bottle and it wasn't that expensive (well it's 4 ml so it might be kind of), and its smell is reminiscent of licorice. I actually recognize it because the sheikh at the local masjid I go to always has something very similar on, and his one is good because it doesn't matter what I'm wearing, when I shake that man's hand (and he always hugs) I will end up smelling like him for a while >__>

Most of the stuff I get is usually from Al Haramain perfumes, but I feel they can be very hit or miss and it's really random, like it doesn't always depend on the price. But this latest one I got was from a private seller who made it themselves I think.