Wednesday, 22nd October, 2014
Fajr: 4:51am (ends 6:26am), Dhuhr: 1:05pm
`Asr: 4:48pm, Maghrib: 7:44pm, `Ishaa': 9:13pm

Donate to help a brother get surgery done insha'Allah!

1. Collapse Details
    13 Things Your Pilot Won't Tell You 
    Banned
    13 Things Your Pilot Won’t Tell You

We asked pilots from across the country to give us straight answers about maddening safety rules, inexplicable delays, the air and attitudes up there—and what really happens behind the cockpit door. What they told us will change the way you fly.

1. “The truth is, we’re exhausted. Our work rules allow us to be on duty 16 hours without a break. That’s many more hours than a truck driver. And unlike a truck driver, who can pull over at the next rest stop, we can’t pull over at the next cloud.” -Captain at a major airline

2. “Some FAA rules don’t make sense to us either. Like the fact that when we’re at 39,000 feet going 400 miles an hour, in a plane that could hit turbulence at any minute, (flight attendants) can walk around and serve hot coffee and Chateaubriand. But when we’re on the ground on a flat piece of asphalt going five to ten miles an hour, they’ve got to be buckled in like they’re at NASCAR.” -Jack Stephan, US Airways captain based in Annapolis, Maryland, who has been flying since 1984

3. “It’s one thing if the pilot puts the seat belt sign on for the passengers. But if he tells the flight attendants to sit down, you’d better listen. That means there’s some serious turbulence ahead.” -John Greaves, airline accident lawyer and former airline captain, Los Angeles

4. “There’s no such thing as a water landing. It’s called crashing into the ocean.” -Pilot, South Carolina

5. People always ask, ‘What’s the scariest thing that’s ever happened to you?’ I tell them it was a van ride from the Los Angeles airport to the hotel, and I’m not kidding.” -Jack Stephan

6. “I’ve been struck by lightning twice. Most pilots have. Airplanes are built to take it. You hear a big boom and see a big flash and that’s it. You’re not going to fall out of the sky.” -Pilot for a regional carrier, Charlotte, North Carolina

7. “The smoothest place to sit is often over or near the wing. The bumpiest place to sit is in the back. A plane is like a seesaw. If you’re in the middle, you don’t move as much.” -Patrick Smith

8. “If you’re a nervous flier, book a morning flight. The heating of the ground later causes bumpier air, and it’s much more likely to thunderstorm in the afternoon.” -Jerry Johnson, pilot, Los Angeles

9. “People don’t understand why they can’t use their cell phones. Well, what can happen is 12 people will decide to call someone just before landing, and I can get a false reading on my instruments saying that we are higher than we really are.” -Jim Tilmon

10. “Most people get sick after traveling not because of what they breathe but because of what they touch. Always assume that the tray table and the button to push the seat back have not been wiped down, though we do wipe down the lavatory.” -Patrick Smith

11. “One of our engines just failed.” What they’ll say instead: “One of our engines is indicating improperly.” (Or more likely, they’ll say nothing, and you’ll never know the difference. Most planes fly fine with one engine down.)

12. Well, folks, the visibility out there is zero.” What they’ll say instead: “There’s some fog in the Washington area.”

13. “We miss the peanuts too.” -US Airways pilot, South Carolina

See also,

35 More Secrets Your Pilot Won't Tell You

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Talib4life For This Useful Post:

BintMuhammad (18-Jan-2013), Fatemah (26-Dec-2012), Sayfullah (26-Dec-2012), Sister. (26-Dec-2012)

3. Collapse Details

I love these types of lists. JazakAllahu Khair for sharing
    Prophet (saw) said: "Whoever does not argue when he is in the wrong will have a home built for him on the edge of Paradise. Whoever avoids it when he is in the right will have a home built for him in the middle of Paradise..." (Tirmidhi)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sayfullah For This Useful Post:

Talib4life (26-Dec-2012)

5. Collapse Details

Pilots are AWESOME!!!
    If you make intense supplication and the timing of the answer is delayed, do not despair of it. His reply to you is gauranteed; but in the way He chooses, not the way you choose, and at the moment He desires, not the moment you desire.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to *saRah* For This Useful Post:

~fLoSs~ (28-Dec-2012)

7. Collapse Details

Umm Musa
    My Husband and I got to speak to a pilot whilst in Singapore, he was a recent graduate, and it was an extremely interesting conversation we had, very fascinating all the stuff he told us.

8. Collapse Details

My nans ex husband was a pilot and he used to take me in the little planes and let me fly it.

9. Collapse Details

I'd love to be a pilot. Hard though with the whole being away from family for so long.
    Whoever remembers death often will find a small amount (of worldly things) sufficient for him; and whoever includes his speech in his deeds will speak little.

Indeed, the wasteful are brothers of the devils, and ever has Satan been to his Lord ungrateful. (Surat al Isra': 27)

10. Collapse Details

Banned
    not to mention flying without a mahrem all the time.

11. Collapse Details

Umm Musa
    The pilot we spoke to said that its not an ideal occupation for a woman cause studies done showed that a woman's body fatigues quicker when being in a plan for so long in one position cramped up. Also u can't fly when pregnant.

12. Collapse Details

Banned
    Health experts tell those with desk jobs to do not sit non-stop for more than 4 hrs at a time and to take a break every hours or two and walk around. Sitting for 4hrs at a time can develop blood cloths and lead to heart attack. Pilots don't have the luxury to take a break and walk around.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Najah View Post
    The pilot we spoke to said that its not an ideal occupation for a woman cause studies done showed that a woman's body fatigues quicker when being in a plan for so long in one position cramped up. Also u can't fly when pregnant.
    Well duh, we all know the ideal occupation for a woman is making sandwiches!
    Whoever remembers death often will find a small amount (of worldly things) sufficient for him; and whoever includes his speech in his deeds will speak little.

Indeed, the wasteful are brothers of the devils, and ever has Satan been to his Lord ungrateful. (Surat al Isra': 27)

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sister. For This Useful Post:

BintMuhammad (18-Jan-2013), Explorer (28-Dec-2012), Pink (27-Dec-2012), Talib4life (26-Dec-2012), ~fLoSs~ (28-Dec-2012)

15. Collapse Details

Lol sis. I wanted to be a flight attendant. I finished my course got all my certificates, was waiting for my 18th so I could apply. Then became Muslim allhumdulliah.. not everything goes to plan.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pink For This Useful Post:

BintMuhammad (18-Jan-2013), Sister. (27-Dec-2012), Talib4life (27-Dec-2012), ~fLoSs~ (28-Dec-2012)

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    Lol sis. I wanted to be a flight attendant. I finished my course got all my certificates, was waiting for my 18th so I could apply. Then became Muslim allhumdulliah.. not everything goes to plan.
    Hadith of Abu Qatadah and Abu Ad-Dahma' who said: We came to a man from the people of the desert and asked him: Did you hear a Hadith from the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him)? He said: I heard him saying: “You will never leave something for the sake of Allah, but Allah will give you something better in return.” (Musnad Imam Ahmad)

May Allah unite you with Aasiya (radiAllahu 3anhaa) in Paradise, who left all for the sake of Allah.
    Prophet (saw) said: "Whoever does not argue when he is in the wrong will have a home built for him on the edge of Paradise. Whoever avoids it when he is in the right will have a home built for him in the middle of Paradise..." (Tirmidhi)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sayfullah For This Useful Post:

Pink (27-Dec-2012), ~fLoSs~ (28-Dec-2012)

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Najah View Post
    I have 2 bro-in-laws that are pilots, they tell me that there is also an issue with radiation, because of less atmosphere to filter it out at high altitude.

Flight risk: how much radiation do planes expose you to?

Some people were suing over the use of chemical sprays that are used when planes landed in Australia - don't know if they still use it because last couple of times I flew into Australia didn't see them using it.

Australian and NZ airline passengers to sue over spraying pesticides
    Singapore: oppresses Muslims, bans athaan, bans hijab in schools, prevents building of madrassahs or muslim schools, puts limit on the percentage of Muslims allowed in each apartment building, and bans Muslims from joining Singapore's elite military forces. Singapore; Israel's best buddy!